Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does anyone have....  (Read 13445 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« on: May 11, 2005, 04:09:01 pm »
...pictures of dogwood trees? I found a whole mess of trees along a dirt road near to where I got the pump house bees. I do not know why I think they are dogwood for I do not know what a dog wood looks like.

Sorry. Didn't have camera with me.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Does anyone have....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:43:20 pm »
Here ya go Jerry.... :wink:

Try Here: Plenty of "real" dogwood pics
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 09:07:36 pm »
Oh                 my              Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to pick my laugh up off the floor!!!! :lol:
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:21:24 pm »
That is TOOOO cute Rob. :)

Beth

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:15:02 pm »
I went and took pictures. Here is the silvery looking underside of leaves with a yellow flower.  

The greener top side with yellow flower

A bunch

These stretch out a mile or more. What are they? Are they great for bees?

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Jay

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 01:07:03 am »
They look like willow to me.
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Does anyone have....
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 07:24:12 am »
Dogwoods typically bloom right after the redbuds (early spring).
I don't recall seeing any wild ones here in TX.
Jim

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:10:45 am »
You got to remember that trees are not native to this part of the country. This is probably trees that were planted as a wind break many years ago.

I suppose there are many types of willow. The ones I know are the weeping willow and these are not them.

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 09:11:14 am »
It's hard for me to see the picture very clear, but the color makes me think of olive trees or some sort of sage. ????

There's a Christian story that goes along with the dogwood and redbuds. Can't remember how it goes, but I know they both bloom around Easter time.

Beth

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Does anyone have....
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 03:11:44 pm »
that doesn't look like any kind of dogwood I ever seen , the flower only has 4 peddles and the leaves are to long and skinny, a dogwood flowers are about as big as a silver dollar and its leaves are in the shape of a football, it does favor some kind of willow  by the way the leaves look, but cant tell about the little yellow flower.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Does anyone have....
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 09:42:52 pm »
Quote from: Miss Chick-a-BEE
It's hard for me to see the picture very clear, but the color makes me think of olive trees or some sort of sage. ????

There's a Christian story that goes along with the dogwood and redbuds. Can't remember how it goes, but I know they both bloom around Easter time.

Beth

Mom has a dogwood that I helped plant about 30 years ago and we always enjoy the legend and the Easter time blossums.
Jim

There Is A Legend
  At the time of Crucifixion the dogwood had been the size of the oak and other forest trees. So firm and strong was the tree that it was chosen as the timber for the cross. To be used thus for such a cruel purpose greatly distressed the tree, and Jesus nailed upon it, sensed this.
In His gentle pity for all sorrow and suffering Jesus said to the tree:
" Because of your regret and pity for My suffering, never again shall the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a cross. Henceforth it shall be slender and bent and twisted and its blossoms shall be in the form of a cross--two long and two short petals. And in the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints, brown with rust and stained with red, and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see it will remember."  

The pink dogwood is said to be blushing for shame because of the cruel purpose  which it served in the Crucifixion.
The weeping dogwood further symbolized the sorrow.
The red dogwood, called the Cherokee, bears the color to remind us of the blood shed by our Savior.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 09:51:06 pm »
Nice wymrotter, lol, however ya spell it. :oops:  :lol:  :D
Ryan Horn

Offline mellifera

• New Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 10:46:51 pm »
Hello,

Just wanted to comment on your photographs of the trees that you thought were dogwoods.

They are Russian Olive trees. They were introduced in the west and have naturalized in some places. (like California and Texas..) We have some in our yard and they do have a flower that bees like and a seed that attracts birds and squirrels. Don't know the scientific name offhand, but I'm sure that you can search Google with the common name and find more information.

Melissa

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 12:14:08 am »
Thanks Melissa, I knew someone would come up with an answer. I will look it up to double check as it has been noted, the pictures aren't that great.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2005, 12:23:10 am »
Here is a picture of Russian olive ( Elaeagnus angustifolia)

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/images/1536x1024/2307045.jpg

Looks like it. Thanks

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 12:29:55 am »
If you would have mentioned the giant flesh eating thorns, I would have suggested Russian Olive right off!! They are thick along the rivers and streams here, and will ruin a good pair of waders faster than barbed wire.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 12:32:12 am »
OH! Sorry. I didn't get into the trees so the thorns didn't stay in memory. But yes they have thorns.

Offline bill

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2005, 03:01:45 pm »
I know one thing aboput dogwood, They will not grow in Midland or in any alkaline area. like azalea they are strictly acid loving plants. and semi arid areas are always alkaline. someone told me once that even our water was too alkaline for azaleas not to mention the soil
billiet

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Does anyone have....
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2005, 09:01:03 am »
I planted a dogwood right next to the lake, and it died. I wonder if the moist ground (possibly being too alkaline?) was what killed it. I didn't know anything about that, and just thought the moisture would do it good. hmm

Beth

Offline Beecharmer

• New Bee
Dogwood Trees
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 02:29:40 pm »
I live in Indiana and dogwood grow wild in our woods along with redbuds.  They are very pretty in the spring.
"Outside of a good book, a dog is a man's best friend: and inside a dog, it's too dark to read."  Groucho Marx