Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Know where to get one of these?  (Read 7153 times)

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
Know where to get one of these?
« on: September 19, 2012, 11:03:06 am »
I do crush and strain and gravity just takes too long for my taste - and there's a good deal of honey left inside the wax.   Anyone know where to get a good honey press or have ideas to make a simple one?

This Japanese one is ingenious!

Take honey from pressed comb [Japanese honeybee]
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Know where to get one of these?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »
That is very nice! Curious to see what you come up with.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:26:39 pm »
Yes it is!  If I knew anything about welding I'd try to put one of these together myself.  :)
"Good will is the desire to have something else stronger and more beautiful for this desire makes oneself stronger and more beautiful." - Eli Siegel, American educator, poet, founder of Aesthetic Realism

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:16:47 pm »
Look on craigs list for an old cider press.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
yup, cider press.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:05:53 pm »
Good idea.  Thanks.  :)

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 07:22:41 pm »
Or wine supply store for a wine press.

John

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
Any type of press and a bag will work.   You might could bag your comb and use 2 pans or trays with some weight to press it out. 

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »
a sausage stuffer set up to press lard will do the same thing.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:28 pm »
Looks very much like old cider press.To bad i live so far away i do TIG welding on stainless steel can weld aluminum also. I would suggest  using stainless steel pot for basic container,then cut hole in side at bottom with metal hole saw.Cut out two pieces of 3/4" plywood and set on drill press table and you have pretty darn good honey press!! :-D

Carl
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 11:39:03 pm »
Shane

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 11:58:36 pm »
Yeh, I saw that one and it's really quite good.

The item on ebay looks like it would do the job just right....but it's shipping only to Australia from what I can see.

Offline ShaneJ

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:02 am »
I'm sure you could easily fine one in the US?
Shane

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 08:30:37 am »
There is quite a number of wine presses listed on Craigs list.  I'm looking into several as I write.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 09:59:10 am »

Here is one that I made several years ago , am getting ready to put some "phoney marble" on the side surfaces to let the honey slide down better- Had alumn. on it and took it off the honey stuck to it too bad and pulled it loose..

Offline 2Sox

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »
JPBeegeter,

This is really great.  I've seen a other versions of the car jack honey press and they are all very imaginative.  I'd like to put one together.

Can you tell me what the large horizontal bolt is and where you were able to get it?  It seems that this piece is the key to preventing the entire system from splitting apart.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
I built some piers at the beach, and had some lefe over, They were  14" gal. 5/8" bolts i figured the length I needed then welded the head end to the other threaded end , had a long 5/8" bolt. Otherwise the thing would not have stayed together/ Pried apart. the bolt is inside a piece of 1" pipe with large washers on each end of the 2 X 4's. Have used it a lot and always have to add something. Its all trial and error..Used a Rossman draining tub under it works fine..

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 07:02:09 pm »
How do you use that one? You must hang all the comb in a mesh bag between the pads I assume.

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:11 pm »
Use the small 'UNDIES " washing machine bags, and small dive bags , small dye bags etc. hang the draw string off the round bar.and screw it.  Not for a large operation , but if you want to press  20 or so frames works well. Crank it  in and go do something else...

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 08:02:18 pm »
Thanks JP. Would love to see some photos of the operation some time.