Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Latest Netbook - came 5 days ago.  (Read 4113 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Latest Netbook - came 5 days ago.
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »
Hi All:

I just received a few days ago the N140 Samsungs latest Netbook packed with Win7, 2 Gig Ram, 280 processor, Matte Screen (which you honestly can see in the sun with little problem, bluetooth, wireless and ethernet, webcam and more.

I like a lot about it, I will say that the N120 my wife has is quicker with XP than my N140 is using twice the RAM and a slightly faster processor, mine is still a bit slower which bugs me a bit.

But the large 250Gig hard drive and that beautiful LED (not LCD) matte screen is awesome - and it really does deliver a 7 hour battery life. I do miss the speakers in the side panel of the screen which delivers "in your face audio" the N140 (modeled after the N10 series) has speakers in the front lower panel.

I give it 4 stars, where I gave the N120 5 stars - only cause of the slighter slower speed and the fact the put Win7 STARTER, not HOME EDITION in it. I would rather pay more and have them install a more full featured operating system, than install it later (which is done online and there no need to backup and recover existing data) but the home edition is around $70. Ugh.

So, I'll report back as I get a better feel for it, but my honest opinion is that the 1.6ghz is NOT powerful enough to make the most of Win7's features. I think I'll grow into it nicely though, it goes where I go!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

bigbearomaha

Re: Latest Netbook - came 5 days ago.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:48:45 pm »
Have you tried the Linux based versions?  The battery life is reported as longer, the systems are reported as faster, more responsive and no worry about virus or malware.

just a suggestion.  Might be worth a try.

Big Bear

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:34:21 pm »
I guess I'm your typical Windows user, although I was a wiz at DOS, but making the leap any further than MAC, Linux and Unix are what we leave for the real techies, I need to see some youtube videos and check it out - thanks :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:53 pm »
Can you say "Basic?" :'( :'(
Windows, or anything like it.  All that typing!!@%& Remember I'm a  Quadriplegic and type with my thumbs, it nearly killed me back then.  And now that I'm twenty years older I'm sure it would now if I ever had to go back.
Please! Please!! Lets all hope 2012 means just that its time to reset our Myan calendars. :)

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:23:23 pm »
LOL.

Wow, It seems there are some notions about Linux here that could stand to be refreshed.
Modern day Linux is as easy to use as Windows.  in some cases, easier.   I kid you not.

I have a 5, 8 and 10 year old who use both without batting an eye.  It's not the Linux of even two years ago.  MUCH improvement and smooth operation now.

I think most people would be pleasantly surprised at modern day Linux.

Big Bear

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:13:45 pm »
I've been trying out Ubuntu (in dual boot config) for a couple of months now, and I really like it as far as features, software, speed (boots in a fraction of the time that XP takes) stability and ease of use. 

However I haven't gotten it to work with all kinds of internet video, and I have a couple of usb devices that I can't access.  I need to learn about it enough to get everything working, but I've gotten spoiled from several years of most everything just working.  I'm sure it can all be worked out but I still remember the days of messing with config.sys and autoexec.bat files every time I changed hardware, and I don't really look forward to climbing up another learning curve.

However, If I was getting started in business and computing right now I would go with linux across the board and save several thousand dollars in money not sent to Microsoft over the years.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »
I bought my wife a Lenovo G550 a few months ago and after getting tired of every other day her complaining about something (all Vista issues of course) I trashed Vista and loaded Ubuntu.   Been over a month now with no peep of an issue from her.  What was great about Ubuntu was you can boot off the CD and try it out (and verify wireless devices, etc.) before installing it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

bigbearomaha

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:06:33 pm »
Yep, Ubuntu is very popular.  it shares being able to run as a livecd with a lot of other distros, which makes Linux very easy to 'test drive' without fear of losing what you have installed already.

Because of the high interest in the home user market, the Linux desktop has made tremendous improvement in usability.

Ubuntu is very well known because of the promoting it's parent company Canonical does on it's behalf.  Mint is very popular because it takes Ubuntu and adds all the drivers and files that one has to hunt down in ubuntu to make web and multimedia operability work out of the box.

Personally,  I use debian and opensuse the most.  They require quite a bit of tweaking, but  I do that anyway.

Big Bear