Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My First Bee Equipment Order  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
    • St. Joseph's Vanguard and Our Lady's Train
My First Bee Equipment Order
« on: February 23, 2007, 04:55:57 pm »
I just made my first bee equipment order!

It took me a while to figure out the complex world of foundation, frames, supers, feeders, etc., and I am sure I have made some mistakes, but I'm gonna make it work.

I made two spreadsheets, one with Brushy Mountain equipment and prices and the other with the equivalent Betterbee products.  I liked both companies, and in the end ordered all my equipment from Brushy Mountain except for the bee suits, for which Betterbee was half the price, and I couldn't resist that.

I don't know how to attach a spreadsheet file or copy my spreadsheet into the table function of the webpage, so I took a screenshot of the spreadsheet data for the benefit of other new-bees trying to find out which equipment to buy.

I went with 8 frame, medium supers.

Thank you for everyone's posts on this forum; it has helped me tremendously to figure out what to buy.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: My First Bee Equipment Order
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 05:07:10 pm »
Congrats on your first bee-venture. Do you have enough foundation? You have fifty frames, and looks like ten pieces of foundation. Will you be using starter strips? I have never done that yet and use a whole sheet of foundation. Good luck. Spring is right around corner for your area of country.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:39:27 am »
Thanks for your encouragement!

The foundation is a 5 lb box (their website says about 80 sheets) of medium-sized "cut-comb".  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/products.asp?pcode=406

I plan to use starter strips and "see what happens".  I think once I get the foundation and frames in my hands and can actually inspect them closely, much of what I have read about foundation and starter strips that has confused will become clearer.

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:13 am »
How many hives are you starting ou with? I would suggest starting with two hives instead of one and if you are using all mediums I would get at least five more if you go with two hives. This suggestion was given to me when I started and I took the advise and was glad I did when the queen in my first hive died a week after installing the package and without the second hive to help out the first one I don't think I would have made it to winter with any bees from the first package. Plus it gives you something to compare to.

Offline Devbee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 05:33:47 pm »
I am starting out with one hive.  I would like to start with two (for all the good reasons you mentioned), but the initial cost then goes up about 40% (5 more supers, 40 more frames, etc.). 

My total cost so far, and I now have paid for everything needed to start beekeeping, is around $630.  The package cost $80 and the equipment was about $550.  I did have to buy two bee suits, one for me and one for my wife, but overall I think I managed the expenses pretty well.  If I had the time and skill to make the supers and frames myself, I would have saved money, but it was a better value for me to just purchase everything assembled.

All in all, for a new hobby, $630 isn't too bad to get into it, especially one that both me and my wife are excited about embarking on together. 

Thanks for your help and advice!

Offline michelleb

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:20:04 pm »
If you can save $$$ by buying unassembled frames/boxes, do that, and don't waste $$ on a hive stand or bucket feeder when you can easily scrounge the materials at home for free. Put that saved $$$ toward a second hive setup, which will indeed save you money in the long run for the reasons explained above. Being able to compare between the colonies, or to use one to augment the other will be well worth it. If you lose your queen at the wrong time, with no other way to quickly replace her (or to add brood), you might become a bit disenchanted when you have to "try again" several months later.

Ditch the fume board, too, the first year. With only one colony, you can get by without it. Or, build  your own. While you're at it, build your own tele cover. They don't have to have the fancy joints that sturdy brood boxes do.

Beekeeping is a hobby that can pay for itself (or at least help pay for itself), once you get to the point when you can give your surplus honey as gifts (or sell it to friends). And of course, you can make up a couple nucs each year when your colonies are established, and sell them to other beekeepers.

Only thing I'd add to your list is Benadryl!  ;)

Welcome to the hobby, and to the forum!
Pocket Meadow Farm

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 10:41:13 pm »
Ask around local beekeepers and you may be able to find one willing to sell you an existing colony in older equipment for $90-$125 and that way you will have a little insurance if your bees get weak or need a little help.