Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two Swarms & Two Cut Outs---April 30, 2010  (Read 2576 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Two Swarms & Two Cut Outs---April 30, 2010
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:57:36 am »
First swarm I thought might be queenless but I saw her the night I set them up, she's dark.

The second swarm was good size. There was a smaller one on a tree in the front yard. Young lady pictured says the large swarm and small were one in the same and there Sunday. Tuesday, they sprayed them with the water house to make them move.

I shook the one you see pictured, caged the queen & set them up. They were hungry & pissy.

I then proceeded to shake the other one but before I could they left with me chasing them down the street banging on a pot with a wooden spoon. I guess I ain't too good at drummin'.  :-D

Went back that night and most of the bees in the big swarm were gone, but queen and around fifty bees still in there. Did they somehow at some point join up with the small swarm, some kind of way?

Was there another queen in this swarm? I'll never know for sure.

The last set of pics are of what I did today. Long story short, I saw the scouts checking each light out approx 10 days ago. The owners of the building (3 in all) hesitated to do anything so this was the outcome.

The smaller of the two has a black queen. I did happen to catch both, so it was a good removal.

pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970/April302010#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Two Swarms & Two Cut Outs---April 30, 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:06:24 am »
Two more things. One, the wooden exterior wall sections you see are called stockade construction. There's an established colony in one of the walls in this building.

Second, that's my buddy George you see opening the wall so we could remove the two bee hives.

George is mad at me cause I told him we didn't need the veil today as the bees haven't been there very long.  :shock:

He got stung a few times, me too, put the jackets on. My bad, sorry George!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »
I liked the address on the first swarm, on the corner of MAPLE RIDGE and MAPLE RIDGE  :-D :-D

HAHA I bet George will carry his veil with him from now own.

still not much swarm activity around here yet :'( :'(
G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:42:22 pm »
Had to go back and view the pictures to see what you meant. Yep, E. Maple Ridge & Maple Ridge.

...JP

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
Mr. JP, Soon this site may have some kinda annual award ceremony similar to Emmy / Oscars....Can just imagine how many nominations & Awards u'll be getn :-D

I then proceeded to shake the other one but before I could they left with me chasing them down the street banging on a pot with a wooden spoon. I guess I ain't too good at drummin'.

I've heard before that if a swarm's in the air clapping/drumming may get them to settle close by...Kinda had me thinking that may have happened due to coincidence but seems there's really some truth to this huh??
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:36:44 pm »
Excellent pictures Jp.
It looks like you have been very busy.
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us!
Joe S.