Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First time adding 2nd hive body... question  (Read 5991 times)

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
First time adding 2nd hive body... question
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:58 pm »
I put a 4 frame nuc into a large hive body 3 weeks ago.  I checked today and only the two outer frames have not been drawn.  Frame 7 is drawn on both sides with brood, honey, and pollen.  They are working on drawing out frame 8.  There are a bunch more bees as well so the hive is doing great.  From what I have been told I am close to adding another hive body.

What I want to do is move to all medium bodies and go foundationless.  Could I put a medium body on top of the large body and go foundationless at the same time?  Should I also figure on using two mediums in place of one large body?

Any suggestions welcomed.  Thanks

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: First time adding 2nd hive body... question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »
I would be a little bit leary of adding a full hive body of foundationless this late in the season. That might be a little much to ask but you can try it.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »
I'm only talking about the medium I put on...  the large hive body already has drawn foundation...  That's why I want to go to all mediums for foundationless frames.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:54:17 pm »
I would be a little bit leary of adding a full hive body of foundationless this late in the season. That might be a little much to ask but you can try it.

I would not go foundationless this time of year in the spring YES the bees need a good flow on to go foundationless. But you can try it. Just my $0.02

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
i agree about it being late to try to get a box of foundationless drawn out, but ask iddee about it.  he's from your state.  also, i would add the box under and not on top.  i find they draw foundationless better when they are working their way down. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 08:55:51 pm »
Thanks everyone for your input...  I can do it either way...  sounds like maybe wait till spring and start then going foundationless...   I still want to go all mediums on my hives...  understand it's too late on this one because I started with a large hive body...   I have no problem adding the new body on the bottom but I thought bees like to build up... 

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »
  I have no problem adding the new body on the bottom but I thought bees like to build up... 

But in the case of foundationless, they work from the top of the frame down.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:09:40 am »
Bees don't like to build up.  It's just where we beekeepers usually add the empty space.  They like to fill empty space.  In a tree, obviously they have to start at the top and work down.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 01:02:30 pm »
Thanks folks....   I guess I should have said it another way...   I know they like to build down " on the frames"...   but kathyp was saying placing the new hive body under the current one worked best for her.  That's when I said I thought bees liked to build up meaning going up into the new hive body.  Maybe build up was the wrong terminology.  My mistake...  Anyway, I have added another large hive body with foundation since it is late in the year.  Thanks for the input.  John

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 01:15:34 pm »
they will (usually) move to the top and build down again....however, if there is honey over the brood in the 1st box, the queen may not move up to lay.  it is their natural inclination to store honey above the brood, so you may end up with a 2nd box full of honey rather than more space for the queen to lay.

by putting the 2nd box under, you do not need to worry about honey being over the existing brood, and it is less likely that they will  use the second box only for honey storage.  

you can pull some brood from the bottom to the top and replace those frames with foundation.  this will encourage them to move up and it will give the queen room if that is your goal.

because you have added the 2nd box so late, and brood production will probably decrease soon, you will need to check that 2nd box before winter.  if it is not used, you'll want to remove it.  
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.