Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: brain pickin'  (Read 2080 times)

Offline burny

• New Bee
brain pickin'
« on: April 18, 2005, 06:39:44 am »
one of our two hives survived the winter. we finally had a break in the weather (wind) , and were able to inspect the brood boxes for our queen and/or her activity. i wish we had our camera so i could show some pics but basically what we have is a large population that looks healthy.the frames in the lower box had 2 with capped honey,6 looked like they were preped for egg laying and two that looked like maybe half of the cells had eggs but  most of them didnt stand straight up like dummies says agood queens eggs should be layed. also in the bottom of these frames with eggs are cells pearly white stuff that looks a little like imature larvae (but a little more disorganized?)
    should we (ass- u -me) all is ok and check again in a couple weeks (or less) and requeen if we see no capped brood? this is my main concern as i see no capped brood.
   they just recently started flying and collecting pollen and i was told once that in the spring the queen will wait until there is a certain pollen level reached before she will start laying... is this why we are seeing only eggs and what appear to be inmature larvae, or is the "queen activity" were seeing really the work of laying workers? if we have no queen we should see a marked decrease in population shortly now that the girls are flying?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
brain pickin'
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 05:50:00 pm »
Not being shunned Burny. I haven't a clue, first year beekeeping. But I will post to get this back to top of page for you.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline burny

• New Bee
thanks/ sorry for gettin' onery.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 07:28:54 am »
thanks for the responses in this and other post. i wasnt trying to be onery just concerned about our bees.
      hopefully i'll see some further life cycle activity on next inspection.
   anybody else in n.england having trouble finding non-windy days to keep on ? it seems like the winds been blowing here in central vt. for a month.
              thank you ..burny :?: