Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Hive Inspection Didn't Go Well  (Read 3154 times)

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
First Hive Inspection Didn't Go Well
« on: April 28, 2013, 07:43:18 pm »
I live in Connecticut and just installed a package of Russian bees about a week ago.  Today was the first inspection and it was very disappointing.  I had an experienced beekeeper helping as I'm brand new to this and don't have a good handle on what the hive should look like at this point.  Basically, I lost a lot of bees since the installation, no frame was completely drawn out and those that had been were not flush with the frame but hanging sac-like and you could see dead larva in cells.

If you have any ideas on what I could do to improve the situation or what might have been the cause, I'd appreciate hearing your opinion. 

Thanks!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First Hive Inspection Didn't Go Well
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:48:57 pm »
losing a lot of bees is normal, but you need to define "a lot".  don't know what you mean by "hanging sack like"?  did you use foundation?  if so, what kind.  if not, it is normal for the bees to build in a U shape and attach the sides and bottom later. 

what else did you see in the cells?  how did you know that larvae is dead.  did you see eggs, larvae that is ok.   what has your weather been like.  how many frames are covered with bees?

what did your experienced beekeeper say?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:07:10 pm »
As far as the number of bees lost, my experienced beekeeper felt that out of around 11,000, at least a third were gone.  We opened the hive at noon and some of them could have been out but that many?  I had counted 25 dead bees in front of the hive three days ago and when we opened the hive, there were at least that many more dead on the bottom screen.  I assumed that was a bad sign as well since bees usually keep the hive clean.

I used a wax foundation.  I wish I could describe how they drew it out but it wasn't like all the examples I have seen where the cells are flush with the frame.  This was more of a layered deal and there were bees walking underneath the cells they had drawn out.  I hope that makes more sense.  There were a few places on the frames where the foundation had been drawn out correctly but there was nothing in those cells.

Other cells contained eggs and pollen but all of the larva appeared to be dark brown and my beekeeper said they were dead.

Our weather has been all over the map since the installation.  A few nights have been in the 30's and the days have ranged from the low 40's to the upper 60's.

There were only two frames that had small clusters of bees working away.  We weren't able to locate the queen, despite the small numbers.

My beekeeping expert thinks my hive is probably going to keep sliding downhill.  I had noticed mid-week that the activity level had changed drastically, especially considering that it was a lovely warm day, the same as the previous two during which the bees were all over.

Hope this helps give you a better idea for diagnosis.

Thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:37 pm »
Have you been feeding them?   And where are you located?  You should be able to see if there is brood soon.   It is hard to see eggs and young on very new wax to see if you have a laying queen there.  The cold may have kept them down.   

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:17:57 pm »
What size box did you put them in? It may be to big and the larva chilled.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:22 pm »
i was thinking chilled brood too but

There were only two frames that had small clusters of bees working away.  We weren't able to locate the queen, despite the small numbers.

that's not a good sign.  what were the bees doing?  were they covering brood?

I had noticed mid-week that the activity level had changed drastically, especially considering that it was a lovely warm day, the same as the previous two during which the bees were all over.

and i'm wondering if they swarmed on you.

any sign of queen cells?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
Okay, to try and answer all the above questions:

I am located in Connecticut.
Yes, they were being fed from a hive top feeder.
There were no queen cells present.
Covered brood?  Does that mean larva under capped cells?  If so, no sign of that either.  All the brown and dead larva were in open cells.
They are in hive box with medium size frames, 10 per box.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:15:35 pm »
Top feeder above or below the inner cover?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »
pictures

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 09:52:10 pm »
No inner cover - just the hive feeder and the outer cover on top of it.

And, foolishly, I didn't take any pictures today.  I will be looking at them in another week although I'm guessing by then that they'll either be done for or on the mend.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 09:59:21 pm »
sorry, but it sounds bad.  pictures would definitely be a big help.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 10:20:54 pm »
I will be looking at them in another week

go pull a couple of frames tomorrow or as soon as you can and get some pics.  i wouldn't wait until next week.  might not be anything can be done, but we might see something that can help.  get pics into the cells where any brood is and anything else that looks interesting.  can't take to many and it shouldn't take you but a few min.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:52:46 pm by kathyp »

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 10:36:38 pm »
Okay, will do.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 07:10:09 am »
Send your pics or links to pics to
photos@beemaster.com
And note the post you want to add them. We will get them up as soon as one of us are available.

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
Now I'm having second thoughts about opening the hive again to take the pictures.  The weather today is in the low 50's with some rain showers.  I'm worried about making the situation in the hive worse by chilling them even further.  And please forgive my ignorance, but would providing insulation at this late date help anything if this is brood chill?  And if it would, are we talking about tar paper or a blanket or what exactly?

Thank you to all for your help.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 01:31:28 pm »
don't worry about it if it's not a good day.

Offline Corliss

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 09:11:01 am »
Due to the assistance on this forum and talking to the instructor of my beekeeping class I believe my hive problem is chilled brood.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that the number of bees left can come back on their own.  However, tonight it is supposed to get down into the 30's again.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a temporary insulation that wouldn't cause condensation inside the hive?

Thanks again for helping a total beginner!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:27 am »

How much experience does the experience beekeeper have that look at this hive have ???
 Was this a full hive of bees ???
 Was this nuc of bees ???
 Was this package of bee ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline dirt road

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 09:44:29 am »
You mentioned dead bees on the bottom screen. Is/was your SBB open or closed?

Moots

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 09:46:36 am »

How much experience does the experience beekeeper have that look at this hive have ???
 Was this a full hive of bees ???
 Was this nuc of bees ???
 Was this package of bee ???

Jim,
Per the OP...."I live in Connecticut and just installed a package of Russian bees about a week ago".

Corliss,
Best of luck with your bees, being a newbie myself, I know how tough it is wanting to do the right thing, but not necessarily knowing what's the right thing to do.

My suggestion is read as much as you can, seek advice both locally and on this forum, then make decisions based on what feels right to you at the time for you and your bees, move forward and deal with the consequences, whatever they might be....Good or bad!  :)

I've learned quickly as a Beek, there are few if any consensuses and no magic answers.  :laugh:  I know it's tough, but try to relax and enjoy the journey.  

anything