Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: insulation works - see the result.  (Read 10098 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: insulation works - see the result.
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 05:41:50 am »
That’s a good question Vance.  I assume you mean a good hive wrap for wood hives?  I don’t know, I hadn’t thought about that.  It might.  The stuff I saw was at a local lumber chain here in Michigan called Self Serve Lumber.  I haven’t noticed it for sale at the national big box stores, but then again I haven’t looked real closely.  I believe the price was about $50 for a 100’ roll.

I figure I could protect about 42 of my jumbo sized foam brood bodies with a roll of the stuff so the cost would be about $1.20 per box to wrap/protect.  So far that is cheaper than the alternatives I’ve stumbled across if I can get it to stick to foam and if I can get paint to stick to it.  These two things I do not know.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 10:53:25 am »
 i will repeat the experiment with supers and varing size of top vents over the holidays
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 03:16:53 pm »
i will repeat the experiment with supers and varing size of top vents over the holidays

Now THAT will be interesting to see!  Close off that bottom vent, give them a little top venting, and let’s see what you find!

anything