Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: best time of day?  (Read 11290 times)

Offline shawnhoefer

• Brood
best time of day?
« on: August 07, 2007, 01:18:54 pm »
we're very new to beekeeping. We started with 2 foundations and we want to add supers. We know it's a bit late in the season, but this is the first opportunity we've got. Should we work the bees in the morning, evening or afternoon?

We live in north central Arkansas and the temps have been around 80 with high humidity.

Thanks,
Shawn

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: best time of day?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »
Shawn, in my opinion, the best time of day to work with the bees is when the bees are flying.  Meaning, you do not want to work with the bees when they are all home.  Figure out the time of day when it is warm enough that the forage bees are headed out the door.  Give them some good time to mostly have left the hive.  They will of course be returning and leaving all day, but don't go in too early, when they are all home.  The less bees to deal with, the easier it is for you.

When the weather is sunny here, I don't go into the hives until about 9:00 A.M. at the earliest.  It wil differ greatly from area to area.  Of course, if you can avoid it, don't go in there when it is windy, rainy (that is a given), or on coool, cloudy, dark days.  You will find many more bees home during these types of periods.  If it is really necessary to go in the colonies on the more adverse weather days, remember to suit up, protect yourself.  I never work the hives anytime without a veil.  If you use the veil, you will always feel the most important parts of your body are protected.  That being your head.  Learn to work the hives gloveless, unless you have really aggressive hives (then you should think about requeening, an aggressive hive is not one that any beekeeper should allow, my two cents here).

When you work with gloves, you run the chance of easily squishing or harming one of the girls.  THis causes the alarm phermone to be released, and you can bet your two dollars the hive will become defensive.  If you work without gloves, you can feel even if you are coming close to a bee, and avoid touching or harming them.  I have not used gloves in the over two years of beekeeping now and have yet to be stung on the hand.  The only time that I have been stung on the hand is when I touched a bee inadvertently, and yep, received a sting.

When I get a sting (which is very very rare), I always smoke that sting area immediately.  This disguises the scent of the sting pheromone and further attacks to that spot are diminished.  This is how I work with my hives.  You will received varied comments from members, listen to them all, learn, chose your own tactics.  Every beekeeper has different opinions.  Have a wonderful day, best of this beautiful life, great health to all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 11:28:11 am »
Shawn, my opinion supports what Cindi has said. I like mornings or evening around 4-4:30 pm. Also, I like no gloves as well, but they are good to have around if you have to work your bees when they are aggressive, for whatever reason. I have found some at Home Depot that I particularly like, that protects the hands yet gives dexterity. They are light blue from the wrist up and a darker blue on the palms, and have a texture on the palms. These are the best latex gloves I have ever used. I have also used playtex living gloves as well, but you will get some stings through these sometimes. Welcome to beekeeping!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »
i like between 11 AM and 5:30 PM...during daylight savings time. sunny and not very windy.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 10:20:42 pm »
>Should we work the bees in the morning, evening or afternoon?

Whenever you get the time.  :)  I've done it all.  The cool of the morning and evening is sure easier on me.  The bees are less grouchy on a hot afternoon.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:23:05 pm »
    With most sources drying up by noon I have been advised by older wiser heads to go in early in the morning.  By the afternoon they are a bit testy.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:40:02 pm »
I visit mine as soon as it warms up here and they are up and running out the door. In the cooler months I usually wait until around 10:00. I know the books all say between 10-3 when most are gone, but that is not always practical.

Annette

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 07:58:44 am »
>I know the books all say between 10-3 when most are gone, but that is not always practical.

Between 10 and 3 I'm out at work... :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 07:10:08 pm »
I will ammend my earlier answer to say that it depends on the time of the yr. If its heat of summer, then I would say work them early, if its fall, then when it warms up. Right now, I am doing my removals in the morning cause its still too hot come late evening. Of course like M.B. said, I work them when I can, which is whenever I can.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 01:33:21 pm »
When you have time.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 02:04:08 am »
Hey  shawnhoefer   where are you at in arkansas!!  Im in mountain view arkansas you might not be to far from me. e mail at carson946@yahoo.com  if ya do but honey bees as the subject.

anything