Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food grade buckets..necessary..?  (Read 4282 times)

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Food grade buckets..necessary..?
« on: July 26, 2006, 02:13:31 pm »
Is it necesary to use food grade buckets for honey to "settle" in before you bottle it..?   Some of the buckets ( most of the buckets ) you see on the bee supply sites are not stated to be " food grade " - they are just white buckets.  I'm sure food grade would be the perferred bucket but as long as they are very clean and never used any other way than for honey are they considered necessary...?

Steve

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:26:00 pm »
about all 5 gallon plastic buckets are made the same just different colors, I just use white buckets from the hardware store (cleaned very well), never heard of a plastic bucket that wasn't food grade, if its not it for another purpose than being sold in stores...... the only thing I see different from the buckets the suppliers sale is that some have a honey gate..... just my 2 cents
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:26:10 pm »
I don't know how necessary food-grade is, but I went to a local bakery and they gave me free buckets and lids from their frosting.  They are only 3 and 4 gallon buckets, but I know they are food grade.

They smelled a bit like frosting for a while and needed a good washing, but they were free and work great.
Rick

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:32:47 pm »
I also thought all bucket were made from basically the same stuff.  If I can find food grade ( bakery and maybe resturants also might used them )  I'll use them.  If can't I'll used any good clean white bucket....  I'll stay away from the orange ones at Home Depot.....:)

Does anyone else have any ideas who would use these food grade buckets...?  Thanks.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »
Places w/ buckets? Anyplace that sells pickles. Garlic scent hard to get rid of, but they hold full load of liquid. Bakeries too. Many deli's have them for salads they buy bulk. Just a few places i get fre buckets from over the years.
Why cant you use a Home depot orange bucket?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:00:01 pm »
I used the 2 1/2 gallon orange buckets last year from home depot, they have a pouring spout on them , worked fine, but I have all white buckets now for settling because they hold 5 gallons (didnt have my setup right then) because last year didnt need to many buckets, use the orange buckets for the garden picking now......  :wink:
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 08:46:34 pm »
Plastic food grade buckets are made from a less leachable plastic.  Some grades of plastic are made to withstand breakdown from acids (tomato) or other things like paints.  I thought that just to be sure, i would get food grade buckets, but I work at a bee store so it was easy to source.  I use 3 and five gallon buckets so far, with a tap at the bottom with a removable screen.  I like to screen, settle and drain into jars within a few days, to avoid having the honey take on any taste from the plastic.   :wink: paranoid maby?

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:36:42 pm »
Thanks all...good information on the buckets.  I'm sure other found it helpful also..  

Thanks BeeC.... Good information from a good source.  People that work in the business know more than they think..thanks for sharing.

SteveSC

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 12:21:35 am »
I typed in "food grade buckets" on google search. Got lots of hits. Try it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 03:25:52 am »
By USDA regulations if you want to sell it or use it as a food grade container must be used.  Other types of plastic buckets have chemicals that can leach into the honey and contaminate it.  If you've used a non food grade container you now have some expensive garbage.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything