Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dying bees  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Dying bees
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:38:43 am »
 I've noticed an occasional bees come out of the hive and fly down to the grass in front. It'll crawl around and then dig it's way into the grass. Later it'll either be dead or well on it's way to dying. I was thinking it may be the winter workers meeting their maker but figure I would ask in case I should be looking for another problem. I was just out watching for 20-30 minutes and seen 4 or 5 bees come out and hit the grass. I let one climb on my finger so I could inspect it closer. I didn't see mites on her. Any thoughts?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dying bees
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:19 am »
Are the dying bees fuzzy looking or just about hairless?  Like some guys, those old bees loose hair as they age.  If the bees dying are looking a little bald, they may be old timers whose time is up.   

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 12:22:45 pm »
 Thanks for giving me an excuse to go back out to the hives. Here are three that I picked up from the ground. One was dead, the other two were dying.

dying

dying

dead

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 01:17:00 pm »
Steel Tiger...I hate to even ask, but any possibility of pesticide exposure?    :shock:  Do they just kind of fall off the landing?

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:43:37 pm »
Steel Tiger...I hate to even ask, but any possibility of pesticide exposure?    :shock:  Do they just kind of fall off the landing?
It's possible. People could be feeding their lawns and laying down grub control as well. Spring planting is just starting, so nobody should be spraying their gardens yet.
 The bees come out of the hive, fly up, then land on the grass. I don't know if old bees die in the hive and get carried out or if they leave the hive to die.

Another possibility would be that they're bees that were damaged during the ride home when I picked them up.

I'm going to set up my camera and video about 20 minutes of each hive entrance, then go through and see what I can see.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »
Is there steady traffic coming and going of 'normal' bees?  Or just these dive bombers....?   The bees look like young bees in the pics.  How long ago did you transport?  I'll be interested to hear what the videos reveal. 

Also, we can get a better sense what is going on in your area if you update your location in your profile. 

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:35:17 pm »
 It's business as usual for them.  I set up the camera about 12 feet in front of the hives. Plenty of pollen coming in and you'll notice a few bees transferring nectar. Quite a few were buzzing around me the whole time I was there. One pinged my sunglasses that were on top of my head, that's then I packed up and left.
Bees

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:18:05 pm »
Lots of activity and a good bit of pollen coming in... :-D Look strong to me...
Marshall

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 01:56:51 pm »
I see a young bee (fuzzy) with good wings (not curled or crumpled) with their tongue out and dead.  Typical of pesticides.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything