Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: melting down harvested drone brood  (Read 2675 times)

Offline twb

• House Bee
melting down harvested drone brood
« on: May 30, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »
I have harvested some frames of drone brood the bees made on my starter strips.  I would like to use the wax to place on my plastic foundation for better acceptance.  How do I melt it down and get the brood out of there?  Will it all separate on its own once the wax gets hot enough? Is it worth melting down just a few frames (less than six mediums) or will I end up with so little wax that I cannot even use it to "paint" my plastic foundations?
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: melting down harvested drone brood
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:45 pm »
i melted  mine on the warming burner on the stove, not the actual burner. It separates pretty well, but some stuff will be mixed in. There probly wont be that much wax but enough that you could use it, but hey im new at this to so lets wait for the experts to chime in here.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »
the best way i have found to melt dirty wax is in a double boiler.  i suspend the wax in cheese cloth over the inner basket of the boiler.  rubber bands work, but use more than one.  they can break as they get hot.  the wax drips down into the water and when it's all melted, pick up the inner basket with dirty cheese cloth and set aside.  allow the wax/water to cool completely.  it will shrink a bit and float on top of the water.  you just fish out the wax disk.

a couple of things i learned.  1.  don't use pans you ever wish to use for anything else.  2.  rubber band hint above  3.  the inner basket of the boiler is essential.  if you drop your wax and cheese cloth into the water you do not want to have to fish it out by hand.  4.  DON"T USE TO MUCH WATER!!!!!!!!  if you boil over the wax and water you will be finding it all over the place  even a year later!!

you should get a fair amount.  i don't know how many frames you'll be able to do, but i melt down every scrap.  i have great disks of wax laying around.  :-)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 12:03:05 am by kathyp »
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline twb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:18:22 pm »
Wow, thanks KP for your voice of experience.  I tried not to chuckle at #4.  What a mess.  Thanks again.
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 16:24

Sincerely,
TWB

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 01:31:09 am »
I made an inexpensive solar wax melter according the Linda Tillmans Blog. I have been melting all my dirty wax including some drone brood frames I kept with larvae and all. When they melt down the dirt will stay above the 2 sheets of paper towels. Only clean pure wax remains down below.

Have fun!!

Annette

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 03:06:50 am »
   I learned about #1 and so did my wife.  She has replaced the stainless steel I used with Pampered Chef.  Thank goodness for PC Parties and the discounts that come from them.

The stainless are still going strong and the wax melts nicely in them for frames. :evil:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:46:34 am »
I do it a little differently, but in a similar way. I boil some water, then throw in the wax. When everything is melted, I pour it through a paint strainer into another container to cool. The liquid wax flows right through with the water, and all the pieces of things get caught by the filter. Then it cools into the disk kathyp mentioned.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 02:52:13 pm »
>How do I melt it down and get the brood out of there? 

Give it to the bees and let them clean it out.  If you find a hive that cleans them out quickly, rear your queens from this one.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin