Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where can i find caucasian bees if they still are around  (Read 3362 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Where can i find caucasian bees if they still are around
« on: December 30, 2006, 12:01:16 am »
Howdy all

I am in search of some caucasin bees i was asked by a freind of mine so i told him i would come here to see if you guy's and girl's may know of someone that sells queens and maybe some packages of these bees.

Tom

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Where can i find caucasian bees if they still are around
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 01:01:17 am »
You can try here -> http://www.bollingbee.com/

I seem to recall it was sold a few years ago and the new owner was having troubles delivering.  It seems the website hasn't been updated since 2005. 
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jarhead

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 04:04:48 pm »
Hard to find. Pro: Low swarming instinct. Large and Strong population. Overwinters well by stopping brood production in the fall. Forages earlier and on cooler days. Has a Longer tounge than most races and can thereby take advantage or more nectar sources than most.

Cons: Purebreads not widwly available in the U.S. Slow spring startup. Produces an abundance of proplis. Susceptible to nosema. Prone to rob. Wikibooks.

Draft beer;not people

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 10:44:31 pm »
Hello

Well they say if you  search hard enough you will find and i did i called boiling bee last week and i heard from Mr. Livings today and they are taking orders for thier caucasin bees so he has me down for two queens. I might order a package of bees from them if they send my queens on time i am trying my hand at some nucs this year and i plan on putting these two queens in them along with some NWC Queens and two Queens from Old sol and try to start my own little bee farm i have about 64 acres for them to forge on and i am getting two nucs from a freind and two feral swarms out of a house i am trying  :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tom

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:41:32 pm »
I didn't think there were any caucasian bees left in Florida, I thought they were all Cuban now  :oops: Oppppps wrong forum   :roll:
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:01:27 am »
heard from Mr. Livings today and they are taking orders for thier caucasin bees so he has me down for two queens.

Keep us posted.  Would be nice to know if he has got his act together again.  I know he had previously had troubles delivering.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:34:04 am »

I had Causasian bees over 30 yeasr ago. Their origin were from Canada. No idea how the race has developed during these years.
"Caucasian bees overwinter poorly, build up slowly in spring, are susceptible to Nosema disease and gum up their hives with propolis (tree resins and beeswax). "  - so they were. They had about one litre dead bees on bottom after winter. Italians have coffee cup amount.

To sell USA:  http://www.bollingbee.com/index.htm

Good news:
"By their capacity for work Georgian bees are far superior to Italian bees, which was proved more once by subjecting them to special tests. They are matchless in this respect. The reason why the Georgian bees are so widespread lays in their useful economic and morphological characteristics which include high honey and wax productivity, fertility of queen bees, resistance to cold winter, a long proboscis, long wings, peace-loving nature, a weak swarming ability, effective collection of nectar and honey even in the conditions of their scarcity, active defense of nests, an ability to work in foggy and drizzly weather, economical consumption of winter food reserves, cleanness of the nest, immunity to infectious diseases, an ability to pollinate red clover, cohabitation of queen bees and many others. "

Is there any word a truth?  http://www.floretlab.ge/georgianbee.html

And here to everyone everything

http://www.squidoo.com/queen_production/

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:31:57 pm »
Hello

Thank you finsky for those web links they prove to be very useful and i enjoy reading them i love getting more information. I will keep you guys up to date on this and see if they deliver on time like they said but i saw some where they had all kinds of problems their 3# lbs.is $75.00 and their 2#lbs. are $65.00 Mr. Livings said they had problems but they are working on that and they are goiing to update their web site but he assured me that they would be the same stock as the former owner had  their prices are good ones but the people i have been getting my packages from fill their cages full and you have them the next day. I have seen some #3 lbs packages from others and they are not as full as the ones i have been getting but my place the prices are high and i may have to go another way that is cheap.

Tom

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:35:08 am »
Livings still has not gotten his act together he has not e-mailed me back about shipping cost or anything so he needs to take this site down since he can't follow thru. But good news i did find what i was looking for and talked for along time with the owner and he got me down for three packages of bees plus i got two coming in april so i am happy i found my girls.

Tom

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 09:32:23 am »
Who are you getting them from?

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:17 pm »
Amy

I am getting them from a gentleman named david he owns long creek apiaries in tennesse. They are 3lb. packages and they only cost $50.00 and he is taking orders now i found his name on the beesource webpage. I talked to him yesterday and he is really nice and i am getting three from him in the first week of may. Some of his caucasians are from boiling bee before they changed owners and he said he is good freinds with the former owner of boiling bee.

Tom

anything