Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Now, how do I get these bees out of my house?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Gail Di Matteo

• New Bee
Now, how do I get these bees out of my house?
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
Oh crimey.

So I decided to harvest some of the honey. I really have no where to store all the frames. You would think someone around here would have a chest freezer, with all the deer hunting that goes on in these parts  ;).

Well, I put the frames out for the girls to clean up before I left for work this morning. Of course there was quite a bit to clean up, so I waited until dark to bring the frames back inside. There was still quite a bit left, and I did not want to leave them out overnight to get moisture on them. So, I'm BS'ing on the phone not paying attention, and I gather them up. I got a sting on the thumb, no biggie, and set the frames down in the kitchen. I come back in the kitchen, and many, many of the girls didn't go home for the evening!

So, I will set the frames back out on the deck in the a.m., but how do I get the girls to follow? I still have two buckets on the counter draining. My friend said she would come over and open the back door once it got warmer out. Will that be enough? sigh.

Gail
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Now, how do I get these bees out of my house?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:12:44 pm »
fly swatter.

maybe they will settle on the frames over night?  you can move the frames back outside if they do.  you may have to move the buckets too.

you are having an adventure  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:18:15 pm »
They go for light. Place a light by the door and turn off all the others. Then when they get to the light take it out the door. Might work
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:15:46 pm »
My hives are on my deck, so I have bees in the house daily during bee season.  Randydrivesabus suggested that I use a glass and a postcard to get them out and that is what I do.  They tend to land on windows because of the light.  I keep a glass near the usual windows and put the glass over the bee.  Then I slide a postcard between the bottom of the glass and the bee, trapping the bee in the glass. Then I take her to the nearest door and free her to the great outdoors.

This method also works on lamp shades, paper towel rolls and the floor.

Works great!

Linda T

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:45 pm »
After the bees clean up the frames, just stack one box on top of the other till they are 5 high. (some where outside)
Then take about 0ne doz. moth balls, crush and lay on one single sheet of news paper or paper towel
will do.Use a shallow super or any kind of spacer so the cover will fit close.
Duck tape all cracks& holes.
Your supers stay out side when in use, don't they?
Doesn't hurt a thing.
Replace moth balls monthly. ;)
doak

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:34:46 pm »
Check this before you go buying moth balls....

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=3986.0
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

anything