Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got the call and it doesn't sound easy  (Read 3177 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Got the call and it doesn't sound easy
« on: April 30, 2008, 10:16:02 am »
Yesterday I turned my name into the Extension office as someone willing to get swarms. Got the call today. Except it's not a swarm.

A gentleman owns a weekend cabin here and there are bees going into a crack in the mortar of his chimney. Sounds like it's above the roof line. I told him this wasn't a simple removal, that a someone with good construction (and deconstruction) skills would be required plus someone to get the bees out. Went over the issues of just killing the bees and leaving the honey behind (not being a good idea). Also told him that without knowing exactly where the bees are there is no good way to go about this without pulling rocks and then boards.

Anyway, how should I proceed? I'm not real interested in getting into this but would like to give the guy solid advice.

Thanks.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Got the call and it doesn't sound easy
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:50:08 am »
I have never done one, but sounds like a trap-out removal. i would check out Mike Bush's site for how to's . Unless of course you determine they are in the attic or roof area, instead of within a brick chimney. You might just look inside chimney if he hasn't used it in yrs and crawl into attic if applicable. Stehascope might be helpful.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:09:04 am »
Yesterday I turned my name into the Extension office as someone willing to get swarms. Got the call today. Except it's not a swarm.

A gentleman owns a weekend cabin here and there are bees going into a crack in the mortar of his chimney. Sounds like it's above the roof line. I told him this wasn't a simple removal, that a someone with good construction (and deconstruction) skills would be required plus someone to get the bees out. Went over the issues of just killing the bees and leaving the honey behind (not being a good idea). Also told him that without knowing exactly where the bees are there is no good way to go about this without pulling rocks and then boards.

Anyway, how should I proceed? I'm not real interested in getting into this but would like to give the guy solid advice.

Thanks.

The first thing you need to do is look at in person or have some pics e-mailed to you so you can get a better idea of what's what.

Thus far I think you gave very good advice. If it is indeed very involved someone with lots of experience should do it. I have been looking into trap outs and what I have gathered thus far is you have to know exactly what you are doing or you are opening up more than just another can of worms.

Iddee from beesource is the man with the trapping plan. He has been doing it for a very long time. You could pm him through their site, he loves to talk bees. He resides in North Carolina.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:09 am »
I would suggest a visit and try and determine if they are in the chimney or in the wall.  Sometimes if the chimney is not used,  they will build a nest in the flue.  I have seen other times where they just use the space between the chimney and the wall as an entrance to get in to the wall.  If you can determine they are in the wall, that would be best as you can then do a cut out.  You can try tapping on the wall around the area, both inside and outside, feel for a warm area on the wall, or look for staining.   Worst case is you determine they are in the brick or can't tell at all.   Then you will have to do a trap out.  The good news is a tap out doesn't damage the building, the bad news is it takes a long time and many visits.  Here are some trap out pictures for you to look at.  If you end up doing the trap out and want some advise, just PM me.

rob..

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 05:22:09 pm »
I clicked on the map and found a guy about an hour and a half away and sent the home owner the info. I'm nowhere near qualified to get involved at this time. If he does have someone come I may go watch.

Thanks!
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 12:54:06 am »
Sorry Rob, I forgot you did trap outs.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything