Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm captured  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
First swarm captured
« on: May 01, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »
My phone has been ringing off the hook! Got a call about a "watermelon-sized" swarm that landed 5 feet from the ground in an ornamental tree. It was more like football sized, but they were mostly happy to move to a box for some shelter. They really were about 5 feet off the ground, though, which was nice, but were around the trunk of the tree, rather than a branch. Took a few shakes to get them in. First time I ever smelled the alarm pheromone, but the banana scent was clear as day when I shook that tree!

I was so excited I forgot to take pictures, though. Next time, I guess.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Hayesbo

• House Bee
  • My son. Almost 6 and loves helping me w/the bees
Re: First swarm captured
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:05:17 pm »
congrats, I am jealous

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:05:06 pm »
conrrats. Expect a few moere. I got all pof mine in about three days. It has now stopped. You are about one week behind me. It concides w/ end of apple bloom I noticed in my counties. First dandelion, then apple provides just the right stimulus I think.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kimbrell

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:43:27 pm »
That's an interesting comment about bees swarming around the time of the end of the apple blooms.  The trees in my orchard have just about finished blooming and I caught my second swarm of the week tonight.  Easy catch.  They were just hanging from a limb waiting for someone to come by and offer them a good home!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:27 am »
Nice job, yes the banana smell is one you'll not soon forget.   :-D

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:31:10 am »
Nice job, yes the banana smell is one you'll not soon forget.   :-D

Haha, yeah, especially after I got popped on the nose right after.

They did go easily into their hive this morning; I got home after dark yesterday and didn't have anything set up. They had already started to build comb inside the swarm box.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »
Warning once that phone starts ringing it doesn't tend to slow down to much and if the media finds out you are doing a cut out you will never get to see your family again because they will call, write and sleep on your doorstep trying to get you to do removals.

But family is overrated.  ;)

All your need are your bees and this forum.
And your chair
And your dog, grrrrrr, maybe not the dog.(homage to Steve Martin)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 11:00:23 pm »
darn, I should have called the local TV station...I can always use more bees...the trick is where to put them! I haven't been at this long like some of you, and I'm running out of equipment! My calls are coming in faster than I can assemble frames!

anything