Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got 'em  (Read 2482 times)

Offline irerob

• House Bee
Got 'em
« on: October 11, 2009, 05:35:12 pm »
did my first complete cut out today. went very smooth the only thing is I'm not sure if I got the queen . Guess I'll know in a few days.
 could not of done it with out all of your input and advice  you guys are a wealth of knowledge.
http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=hpim1636z.jpg
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Got 'em
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:24:56 pm »
Hey, I did one of them thar cutout things one time. FUN, ain't they???

Now, in the area you are in, watch for SHB. They will decimate it in a week if you aren't right on top of it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:05:14 pm »
I love cutouts!!!!!!!!   My 2 cents would be to put a queen excluder under the brood box for the first week until they figure out that's home.  It works for me.  Be carefull though you might get bit by the cutout bug like me and the next thing you know your hanging over the edge of a strangers garage with a vaccum hose in one hand and a camera in the other.  :-D

Great pics. too

Dave
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:16:59 am »
Great job! I did one in a room something like that once. There was a big aquarium with big Oscars in it watching me the whole time. The tank was right next to where the bees were.

I bet you got the queen on this one.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:13:35 am »
 X:X X:X X:X

Great job!  now your hooked.... at least till you get that first "nasty" one..   :-D

seriously  glad to see you out there saving the girls!
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:11 am »
Congrats!  I don't think there is anything you can do with family or friends that is more fun.  I agree with the queen excluder idea - our first cut out absconded the next day.  We plan to do a cutout from a tree next week, and I'll probably cut some plastic queen excluder to put over the entrance as our bottom boards are stuck on.  We go with the principle that the bees follow the queen, so if they are heading into your super it's a fair bet you got her.

Lone