Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Had an interesting day on the homestead.  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Mr T-Bone

• New Bee
    • Briarhillfarms
Had an interesting day on the homestead.
« on: November 23, 2005, 08:28:50 am »
Well it rained all night, so it was too wet for me to go to work today, so I stayed home. My wife is out of town, so if I had of worked nobody would have been home today.

I was sitting in the living room reading, and I heard my female bloodhound cut loose with what I call her "evil bark", it's the only way that she barks that makes me get up and see what the problem is, it means something's not right...

So I go out and notice she is barking and growling while staring at the goat pen, where we keep our 3 goats. I look over there and there is a huge pit bull climbing the 5' fence!!!

I didn't have my sidearm on me at the time so I ran to the fence and jerked this dog down and gave it a kick in the nuts. It ran off into the pasture, so I went back in the house and grabbed my 1911 and the phone. I called the sherrif and told them what was going on, (I know about shoot shovel and shut-up, but since I live next to an apartment complex they built next to us I'm usually being watched by somone, and the last time I shot a dog I was arrested and had my gun confiscated). The Deputy on the phone told me if the dog came back up into the yard or near the pen before they got there to go ahead and dispatch it.

So I waited for about 15 minutes, all the time I could see the dog in the pasture watching me, probably waiting for me to go back in the house so he could come eat our critters.

Finally the deputy showed up just as the dog was making it's way back to the yard. He grabbed it with one of those noose on a stick thingys and put it in the cage in the back of his truck. I thought that dang dog was gonna break through the steel cage and get out. he was actuall one of the biggest pit bulls I've ever seen.

Long story short, no critters were lost and the pit bull is gone.
"Do your duty in all things...You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less."
Robert E. Lee

http://briarhillfarms.bravehost.com/index.html

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 03:25:04 am »
I would have taken care of it nice and quitely, get a 22 pistol and a silencer, that is all I can say. 8)
Ryan Horn

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:34:51 pm »
I bought a bunch of subsonic .22 shells.  They are nice an quiet and quite effective at close range.  Where I live now the nieghbor doesn't care, so a full .22 is what I use for the skunks and possums that get into the chickens or bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline billruble

• New Bee
Dogs getting critters
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 07:50:04 pm »
i will never forget my mother when it comes to sharpshooting.   My folks raised geese to sell eggs to a hatchery.   they had over 400 geese and we were always having problems with dogs.  I remember my mother grabbing a rifle and shooting 3 dogs with 3 shots while they were running away.     All three fell with one shot and they wer enot all that close either.

Then as a teenager, I had sheep.    For several years had no problems, then one day, dogs got in and killed a whole bunch of them and many were so torn up that they died later.   From that day on, I don't think twice about shooting any dog I see on my place.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Bill

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 04:49:44 am »
My brothers .243 worked great when the dogs came after our new calves when I was a kid.

We have a pit bull in the neighborhood.  City code requires she be chained and fenced but she has no fence (apartments) and has broken the tree she was secured to and on another occassion broke the chain.  After ten years of hearing how my wife wanted a Peek-a-poo I got her one for Christmas.  Then our neighbors got themselves a lowrider dog also.  The pit bull sees lunch everytime she comes out and sees the smaller dogs.  It is legal to shoot, but beware of disturbing the peace.  Either way my wife can shoot better than me if the pit comes after the kids and we need to protect them (which is still legal...for the moment).
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)