Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: praying mantis hatch  (Read 1947 times)

Offline rober

• Field Bee
praying mantis hatch
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:54 am »
some of you may remember lst year's hatch. this year i bought 30 egg cases. this is the 2nd hatch.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: praying mantis hatch
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:58 am »
Those things are bee eating machines. They also make a big mess on your hive bodies when you smash them.  :-D

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:33:39 am »
i'd move them before i'd mash them.  they are one of the best bugs you could have around.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:21 am »
i'd move them before i'd mash them.  they are one of the best bugs you could have around.

Just not around your bee hives! I wonder how many bees one adult can eat a day?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:19:57 am »
they are wonderful bug eaters...including your bees  ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:27:55 am »
Very cool pics rober.

We’ve got hoards of the things here.  Egg cases all over the place.  I have noticed more around since I’ve been keeping bees, but I haven’t seen them hanging around the hives.  They’re probably getting bees on the flowers and such.  I figure they’re a net positive though so I leave them alone. 

I do have those gray tree frogs all over my hives though.  I don’t smash them either since I figure they may be snacking on wax moths.   X:X

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:35:27 pm »
i'm sure the birds & skunks are eating more bees than the mantids. being nocturnal i'd suspect the frogs are eating more moths than bees. i have been live trapping & drowning the skunks. a friend had a secondary yard of 20 that the skunks ate down to 8. the landowner noticed the skunks & called my friend who then discovered the loss.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 06:23:39 pm »
I wouldn't think that Mantis could significantly hurt a colony. Wouldn't think of killing one on purpose. They are my second favorite insect.
Later,
Ray

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:24:55 pm »
Awesome, I love mantids! We've got a pretty good stock of natives here and always liked to keep them as pets as a kid. Where do you get your eggs?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:59:19 pm »
I didn't dispatch the mantis on purpose. He was hidden between stacks on a pallet.   :imsorry:
I was just putting stuff back together when I noticed this green stuff squirting out.
I sat in a chair last year and watched one perched by an entrance to a hive.
They move so slow, until it's time to eat. We caught one just about every summer when I was growing up too.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:44:26 pm by tefer2 »

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:29 am »
do a search on flea bay for praying mantis eggs. i used to buy them thru a nursery but they quit handling them. i've searched the net & the best deals are on e bay. look thru all the buyers cuz' the prices can vart greatly.. i paid $2.10 per egg case but some are asking as much as $9.00 per egg case. i keep them in a vented jar & check them every morning.
the std procedure is to tie them to a tree or shrub branch but in the jars i know exactly how many hatched & i can put the hatching case somewhere reasonably safe from being eaten by birds. there can be anywhere from 25-200 bugs per case. the case in the photos probably had over 200.   

anything