Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Planning for Hurricanes  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Planning for Hurricanes
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 11:23:34 am »
I lost a few hives because of Gustav but, with talking to the locals most believe a small tornado came through so probably anything I did would not have mattered. But in the future I plan to ratchet strap my tops, and hives down. 
I believe I can place a 2 ft 2x4 under my box then wrap a ratchet strap all the way around the entire hive. this way when you tighten the strap it will cinch the 2x4 tight up to the 2x6 stringers that the hives are sitting on thus holding the entire hive to the stand. My stand is cemented 4x4's with 2x6 stringers for the hives to sit on. I think with this set up I should be able to withstand some strong winds but probably not a tornado. 
Also I think for the people that use 4x4 and cinder blocks like JP they can probably use this method as well, it would lock everything together and at least make it a lot heavier

Keith

Offline IsleWx

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 10:51:42 pm »
hi all,

We were at more or less ground zero for Ike.  I took out the pets but had to leave the hives.  I guess you never really expect the worst to happen.

They are lost, as was the house, along with pretty much everything else.  We'll be cleaning the slab off with a broom after the adjusters are out tomorrow.

On the bright side, we'll be rebuilding, and in the plan will be a raised terrace for the apiary, with protection from the north winter winds.  I'm thinking to start out with four packages.

Mp

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 08:18:45 am »
Sorry to here of your losses MP.Glad you made it through okay though!! Best wishes for your future and good luck with your new apiary. Send us some photos when it's done!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2008, 08:27:11 am »
I posted some pictures of my preparing for a hurricane a while back

I have upgraded slightly since then. I can't believe that was two years ago.

I use a method that is similar to JP's. I still strap around the entire box.I put the boxes close together and secure them to each other. I then use point to ground anchors in several locations. And the hives don't move. I usually only do this know if it is cat 4 or 5. For cat 3 or less I may just do some strapping on the bodies and one to the lid.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible