Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive stand  (Read 6266 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Hive stand
« on: August 07, 2008, 12:45:39 pm »
So I thought that I should put together a hive stand based on annette's design for myself before making a couple for annette, to work work out the bugs if nothing else... and I'm glad I did because I made a lot of mistakes that I won't repeat next time... including a dumb one which made me decide to cut down the top shelf pieces form 6" to 4" becasue I forgot to calculate the length of the front and back to add in the extra four inches. Anyway, here's the first mock-up of the stand.

As you can probably tell, it's only glued at this point, so I need to screw it all together because wood glue will fail with our heat and humidity, and there'a A LOT of work still to be done to finish it... including filling all those gaps, sanding everything down, then painting it all white to match my hive and house siding.  I'll post some more pics as the project progresses.  In the meantime, feel free to comment.

PS - Pay no attention to my son's sippy-cup there... it's not part of the design.   :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:47:25 pm by SgtMaj »

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Hive stand
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:38:24 pm »
Alright, got a bit more done...

It's all screwed together now... I just used little 1.5" screws because all of the pressure on all of the parts of it are compression, so I just have to make sure nothing slides out of place... plus, I'm all out of 2.5" screws.  I'll definately use deck screws or lag bolts for yours though Annette.

I also put the filler on... here it is smeared on rough, it's just bondo by the way.  I know they make wood filler, but it's just not as good in my opinion, and way overpriced, too. 

So then I sanded it down...

But of course I'm sure you can tell there are still some imperfections... there always are after the first coat.  So I just got done laying down the second and what should be the final coat.  I'll take more pics after it cures and get's sanded, but that won't be until late tonight... I need to sleep sometime afterall.

Oh, here is a pic of the bottom, I wanted to show you why the side-rails are flush with the legs.  I just dado's them into the legs... this lets them rest on the legs instead of putting pressure on the screws and trying to sheer off the screws.  It's a little trick I picked up from building a few aquarium stands that needed to hold about 2500 lbs.  Don't worry, I didn't learn that lesson the hard way.  Anyway here it is:

Annette, if you want me to do that for yours, I can, but it would have to be filled and painted, too since I simply don't have all the tools necessary to do a job worthy of varnish or natural finish for that part.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »
OH my God!!!! These are wonderful, just like the ones I already have. They look so sturdy. I just love them.  Regarding your question, I do not completely understand what you are asking me, but I need to be able to put them together as easily as possible.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart and can't wait to receive them.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:09:41 pm »
OK, now I understand what you have said about the side rails resting on the legs. My friend placed them lower down on the bottom and you are saying they were held up by the screws, is this correct??

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:14 pm »
you're a perfectionist Sgt. nice looking job.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:45:36 pm »
sarge,
You totally remind me of one of my fellow scout leaders. His motto is "anything worth doing is worth overdoing." That looks amazing, but Holy *^$^*&.  As a mason contractor by trade I have to say "You got something against cinder blocks?"...
Great Job
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 10:42:24 pm »
Very Nice Sgt. I haven't the patience and use the two cinderblock method.  I will admit, however, that my hives are not nearly as attractice as those that will sit on such a nice base.
Brian

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:57:59 pm »
sarge,
You totally remind me of one of my fellow scout leaders. His motto is "anything worth doing is worth overdoing." That looks amazing, but Holy *^$^*&.  As a mason contractor by trade I have to say "You got something against cinder blocks?"...
Great Job
F

My motto is if it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right.  Where I run into trouble is, where to draw the line between right and perfect. 

As for cinder blocks, I've got nothing particularly against them, other than that I just like this type stand better.  Plus... I'm still expanding my raised garden beds out back and they are being built with cinder blocks, so any extra cinder blocks laying around get used for that.  I still need close to about 200 of them for the lower garden and about 10 more for the upper garden.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:55 pm »
but I need to be able to put them together as easily as possible.

Actually, I was thinking about that... originally I thought these were going to be 18" tall, but they aren't.  Since they are 23" front to back, I'll have to use a 24"x24"x24" shipping box anyway... and since they are 11.5" tall, two fully assembled stands would fit in the same box together, so I can actually ship them to you fully assembled and ready to go.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:47 am »
Sounds great. PM me with the details.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 03:13:57 pm »
Who's ready for some more pictures?

Here it's finished and all nice and painted...

... and with the hive on it...

... and showing the SBB without the removable ramp...

What's funny is I ran out of that white paint EXACTLY when I had finished painting the stand.  I still want to make a couple more things though, like an entrance reducer... and I'll probably just buy a couple of queen excluders (just to keep the swarm or package bees from being able to leave with the queen for a couple of days after installation).  I think I will just dado that vented top cover to make an upper entrance, but will also make a plug for it to plug it up 'til the hive gets stronger.  Anyway, this was about the hive stand... and it's done.  So now on to Annette's stands, right?

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 03:52:35 pm »
Sarge,
That is absolutely nuts, good job. If you could sell those for $387 apiece think of the money that you could make.  :-D
F

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 03:55:18 pm »
Sarge,
That is absolutely nuts, good job. If you could sell those for $387 apiece think of the money that you could make.  :-D
F

I'm sure no one would pay that much...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 04:49:41 pm »
It came out incredible looking. I am very impressed and can't wait to receive them. I just love these photos you took of them.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 04:50:52 pm »
I see you have the honey run ventilated covers. Did you make those as well???

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 05:29:15 pm »
Yup.  Built that right after the boxes.

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 08:16:57 pm »
Very nice job! :) 
And no, I wouldn't pay $387.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:17 pm »
Ok, Ok, I think if you could sell them at $347 you could still make a profit, but just barely.
F

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 10:23:09 pm »
Hey, if you're offering $347... SOLD!