Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: muffin top larva?  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Pre-Bee (Rowan)

• New Bee
muffin top larva?
« on: September 02, 2012, 07:28:08 pm »
I checked on my bees today and am a bit worried.  I saw very little capped brood but there seemed to be lots of larvae.  I'm hoping this is just because it has been dry lately and not a problem with my queen/yellow jackets/disease.  The larvae I saw looked white, but I found one cell that looked like the larva had expanded and turned into a kind of "muffin top" over the edges.  Anyone know what this is?  Sorry, there's no pictures.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: muffin top larva?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:34:15 pm »
The dearth may have slowed brood rearing.how much honey do they have available? As far as the muffin shaped cell,I would be tempted to scratch it open and examine the contents if your sure it isn't a queen cell.Otherwise,if it is only one cell you likely do not have a problem.
Get us a photo if it's at all possible.

Offline Pre-Bee (Rowan)

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
The frames in the top medium are about half full and there wasn't a capping on that cell. The larva itself looked inflated.   I think the bees might be on their last legs as they've spent the day trying to abscond in wet weather after I put miteaway strips on yesterday.  I got as many of them as I could into my nuc but I'm not sure where the queen is.  Tomorrow I'll see if they stayed in the nuc or left while I was at work, and take a really good look at what is left of the hive. 

*headdesk*

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:19:34 pm »
With the quick strips on they will beard heavily on the outside. You can put an empty super above the brood chamber to let the bees move up some. You can also prop the top some for ventilation.The formic acid settles downward,so be sure no entrance reducer is on.
The bearding lightens up after a couple days. Brood being present will help to keep the bees there.
  If they are light on stores,you may want to feed after the strips are taken off . 7 days of treatment and you can remove them.

Offline Pre-Bee (Rowan)

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:26:20 pm »
I did not know that.  I had the entrance reduced on for the yellow jackets.  Should I put the mite count board in my sbb or is it better if its off?  As soon as it dries/warms up a little I'll dump all of the bees in the nuc back into the hive.  Thanks so much.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 05:27:46 pm »
Rowan,have your bees retreated back to the hive?

Offline Bradeeen

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:03 am »
I did not know that.  I had the entrance reduced on for the yellow jackets.  Should I put the mite count board in my sbb or is it better if its off?  As soon as it dries/warms up a little I'll dump all of the bees in the nuc back into the hive.  Thanks so much.
\
I am agree with you about this situation.These points are 100% percent right and we should have enough information about it.

anything