Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB's and wax moths!!!!!!!  (Read 2163 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
SHB's and wax moths!!!!!!!
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:24 pm »
Well, I have not been on for awhile.  I also have not been out to check on the bees for a long time.... a few months, probably.  I wont go into it here, but I have had a pretty hectic and unforgiving summer.  Unfortunately, the bees suffered because of it.  

Two of my hives were destroyed by wax moths.... I mean DESTROYED. Should I burn the woodenware?  There are cocoons everywhere.  Very Very sad... I am ashamed, but I truly have not had the opportunity to get out there.  Still ashamed.  I did try to get rid of them, by selling since I knew I was going to have trouble with time.

Secondly, all of the remaining hives (3) have SHB's.  I had supers on and I think too much room.  The hives seemed fairly normal, strength-wise.  I reduced them down, so I hope they can take care of it.  Can a strong hive dominate ?  I guess I could treat, but if there is another way that would work I would do that.  So much for no SHB in Indiana.  All of my hives were from swarms or cutouts.  

Lastly, I pulled roughly 15 deep frames of honey.  Since I had SHB, can I just harvest that honey, or do I need to freeze it first?[/font]  I just crush and strain it, but am wondering about eggs or whatever.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for any opinions.  Sorry to be gone and spring back in with 20 questions.   :roll:  
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:45:02 am by joker1656 »
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: SHB's and wax moths!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:23:00 pm »
can't answer your SHB question.  the wax moth stuff can be frozen to kill what's on there.  as badly as they can damage things, the bees can repair it next year if you kill the wax moth off.

glad you are back.  sorry about your hives, but sounds like the other 3 got though ok.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »
No need to ditch the wooden ware, just clean them up and reuse. Wax moths and hive beetles aren't really "contagious" so to speak.
Reducing the area that the bees need to defend is the best option for both of these pests.

It sounds to me that the bees must have swarmed during your summer flow. The new queen(s), now with a much reduced population needed 16 days from egg to adult, maybe a week or so to mate and then another 21 days from egg until the first workers emerge, meanwhile the now worn out work force is dying off in droves....perfect opportunity for invasion.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 02:46:47 pm »
I still have frames in use that look like swiss cheese from the moths.  Clean them and reuse.   On your frames you can harvest.   Yes freeze them.   It will kill out all the bugs now.   Just make sure that the SHB has not slimed them yet.  But freezing will kill out the eggs left behind.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 05:01:24 pm »
Thanks to you all for your input.  In regards to the harvestable (word? lol) frames, is the sliming pretty obvious?  I am going to freeze them, but wanted to make sure that no slime was present.  None obvious, at least to me. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
You can see where the worms ate the way through the honey, slime trails.   Yuck.  And when they are totally ate up, there ain't no question.   Look at them good when they come out of the freezer, but you may be alright.

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 09:29:43 pm »
In my struggle with the beetles this year I found one frame with tiny dark stains in about three uncapped honey cells. Pulled the whole frame and froze. There are a lot of tiny larvae turning up in the traps but on inspections I have occasionally found larvae on bottom boards, never any on any of the combs.

Regarding reducing the size of the hive area the bees have to defend;
If a beekeeper is using all deeps, the difference between 1 and 2 or even 2 and 3 is pretty big. How would you go about increasing the colony size while dealing with infestation? Will restricting the area limit the population of the bees adversely?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:05 pm »
Don't add hive bodies or supers until the box below has at least 7 frames full of bees.

On weaker colonies (swarms and cut outs...cut outs especially) I like to start them with one frame of foundation or drawn comb and the rest all foundationless frames. Empty frames don't need defending and by the time they draw them out they have the population to cover them.

Of course the cut outs will have their own brood comb that is very susceptible to SHB so I reduce the risk by not transferring any honey/pollen comb during the cut out and feeding syrup through a jar feeder with only one hole in the lid. They can't take the syrup fast enough to store it but can feed on it.

I have lost 5-6 colonies to SHB this year but they were all cut outs/trap outs.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:08 pm »
We freeze and cut out the bad parts,then spray with water hose. They rebuild it. If it's bad we cut all out. Cut the bad part out before you crush it.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation