Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Am I gonna die??  (Read 13298 times)

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
Am I gonna die??
« on: May 09, 2009, 09:16:21 pm »
I was reading a discussion the other day about poisonous plants for bees and rhododendron and azaleas came up. Well...guess what my girls were working today? Rhododendrens!! and another bush near it that my wife thinks is an azalea. Take a look at this video and tell me what she is actually playing with. They seemed to be going deep into the flowers. This one obviously has something very sticky on her. What is it?
Oh....and am I gonna die?    :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO_rWftp3eY

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
Re: Am I gonna die??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 09:27:46 pm »
I must be missing something, with a lot of these silly newbee posts, that seem to be so often lately !   :?

:wierd:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline ccwonka

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 09:49:02 pm »
I can garauntee you with 100% certainty that you will die.  I doubt that the honey from your hives, unless you have acres of poisonous plants, will particularily speed up the process!  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 09:54:05 pm »
I must be missing something, with a lot of these silly newbee posts, that seem to be so often lately !   :?

:wierd:

Bee-bop, I am sure the newbee posts are up as this is the season that we all start :-) I found the question interesting as I have never thought about posionous plants in the area and what effect they may have on the honey. I'll be interested in reading some other follow-up's.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:57:12 pm »
Yes, I agree. It is a proven scientific fact that 100% of beekeepers and also 100% of people who eat honey do die.

If however you are concerned about dying from Rhododendron honey just put your honey supers on after the rhododendron bloom.  I have heard that bees will generally get nectar from other plants before Rhodys so I personally wouldn't worry about it.
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »
rickomatic, she was placing pollen on her pollen baskets. You will be fine.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 10:16:00 pm »
If you have a whole lot of the Azaleas and not much other forage then the honey can make you sick, but just a couple plants wouldn't be enough... or so I've heard.

Also, if you have any kids under 18 months old, they shouldn't eat any honey... it could seriously harm them if they do.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 10:22:12 pm »
Also, if you have any kids under 18 months old, they shouldn't eat any honey... it could seriously harm them if they do.

Better yet, keep all raw foods away from the newborn.  Honey gets a bad rap for infant botulism because of the lousy warning label someone came up with.  Honey is no more of a risk than raw carrots  :shock:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 10:24:09 pm »
Better yet, keep all raw foods away from the newborn.  Honey gets a bad rap for infant botulism because of the lousy warning label someone came up with.  Honey is no more of a risk than raw carrots  :shock:

Very true.  Of course, this is nothing the parents shouldn't have already been told by their pediatrician.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 11:15:19 pm »
As everyone has said, there are "poisonous" plants but they would have to work alot of them.

I have 2 rhodies and 2 azeleas( as well as half my neighbors) and although they could be working those shrubs I have not noticed it.

Right now they are quite enamored with the forsythia shrubs, pear trees and salvia that is in bloom.

Your bees don't just stay in your yard, they will go all over the neighborhood and up to 2 miles away on an average basis and forage other people's land.

My dad lives a mile away and has a huge rhodedendron in his yard.........
So the bees you see in your yard may belong to another beekeeper who will die instead of you. :-D
If it concerns you just make sure you have alot of other things planted that bees like.
You could get rid of your shrubs to put your mind at ease but then for all you know they could be working the same types of shrubs at someone else's house.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Hey anyone want to try my Rhodedendron honey? How about Azalea honey? Its a specialty honey. :-D

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 11:37:30 pm »
I must be missing something, with a lot of these silly newbee posts, that seem to be so often lately !   

Just remember, BeeBop. Everyone was a newbee at one time.  ;) And, I believe in that old addage, that there is no such thing as a stupid (silly) question. It's how we learn.
I really wasn't worried about dying. Or even getting sick. That was just my little twised way of asking for information. Like I said, I had read a couple threads lately about those plants, and the conventional wisdom, I thought, was they wouldn't even work them. That's why I was curious.
 I'm just like a kid with a new Christmas present. I want to show it to everyone, and learn as much about it as I can.
Thanks for all the great responses. This forum is, as I've said before, a veritable University of Beekeeping.
 :-D

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 11:45:46 pm »
If you have a whole lot of the Azaleas and not much other forage then the honey can make you sick, but just a couple plants wouldn't be enough... or so I've heard.

Or transport them in hot cars !

Dog Gone;

Last I heard OFICALLY by the AMA it was : 12 months

Take every thing you read on these boards with a grain or two of salt.

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 11:51:06 pm »
rickomatic,  If you are worry about the honey you can send it to me

Johnny

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »
We have tons of em here.  My bees don't really work them too much, lots of other stuff they like better.  The bumbles love em though. Also, this isnt the main flow so this honey will probably be used by the bees for making more bees!  I wouldn't worry too much, the big mac & fries or "little chocolate doughnut" will probably shorten your life more than the honey! J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 12:31:20 am »
I must be missing something, with a lot of these silly newbee posts, that seem to be so often lately !  

Just remember, BeeBop. Everyone was a newbee at one time.  ;) And, I believe in that old addage, that there is no such thing as a stupid (silly) question. It's how we learn.
I really wasn't worried about dying. Or even getting sick. That was just my little twised way of asking for information. Like I said, I had read a couple threads lately about those plants, and the conventional wisdom, I thought, was they wouldn't even work them. That's why I was curious.
 I'm just like a kid with a new Christmas present. I want to show it to everyone, and learn as much about it as I can.
Thanks for all the great responses. This forum is, as I've said before, a veritable University of Beekeeping.
 :-D

I'm Sorry:  I just got confused :

Could it be the manner in which the question is asked ?

" Am I going to Die ??"

"I wasn't worried about dying or even getting sick"

" my twisted way of asking for information "

So I guess I just answered in my twisted way, sorry if you got in a huff. I'll try to answer in a more adult manner in the future.

This board has given many children and adults very good info. about bee keeping, lets try to keep it that way .

Bee-Bop

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 01:03:57 am »
This board has given many children and adults very good info. about bee keeping, lets try to keep it that way .

regardless of how the question was asked, good info was given.  info i am interested in because i live in an area that  has a lot of rhododendrons and they are blooming late this year.  usually they'd be about done now, not just opening.

i'll check back through the rules, but i'm pretty sure there is no guidance on formating questions.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 01:41:38 am »
There are a lot of rhododendrons growing in the mountains of North Carolina.  They are usually one of the last things that the bees will work, but if nothing else is flowing they will work it.  This happened a year or two ago to a beek up in the mountains.  He ended up with a couple of 55 gallon drums of rhododendron honey.  I got a taste of it.  It was the most vile, disgusting stuff that I have ever tasted.  The little bit that I had left the taste in my mouth for a long time.  This is something that nightmares are made out of.

Rhododendron honey does have poison in it but there is no way that you could eat enough to die, but after just a drop I was wishing that someone would put me out of my misery.  It really was bad.  I am not sure what he did with the drums of honey.  His year was a bust, economically anyway.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 02:15:15 am »
There are a lot of rhododendrons growing in the mountains of North Carolina.  They are usually one of the last things that the bees will work, but if nothing else is flowing they will work it.  This happened a year or two ago to a beek up in the mountains.  He ended up with a couple of 55 gallon drums of rhododendron honey.  I got a taste of it.  It was the most vile, disgusting stuff that I have ever tasted.  The little bit that I had left the taste in my mouth for a long time.  This is something that nightmares are made out of.

Rhododendron honey does have poison in it but there is no way that you could eat enough to die, but after just a drop I was wishing that someone would put me out of my misery.  It really was bad.  I am not sure what he did with the drums of honey.  His year was a bust, economically anyway.

It would probably still be good honey to feed back to the bees in the fall... at least save a little on the syrup costs maybe?

Offline rickomatic

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 03:23:05 am »
So I guess I just answered in my twisted way, sorry if you got in a huff. I'll try to answer in a more adult manner in the future.

LOL. Not a problem BeeBop. I wasn't in a huff at all. As a matter of fact, a lot of the "credits" I've earned in this "Beemaster University" forum have been under your professorship. Thanks.    8-)

Offline challenger

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 07:41:33 am »
I agree 100% You are going to die.
Also-on the baby thing. i thought that was 100% BS?? Don't take tylenol either right? Don't eat Chicken because you will get Avian flu. Don't drive a car or you will make the planet warm up. It is all garbage IMO. Swine flu? Please stop the madness. We couldn't make this planet warmer if we tried and even IF (which isn't the case IMO) we could change the climate why is the USA the only one with the fuel that is doing it.
Beekeeping for Chordoma. All proceeds donated to cancer research