Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package Question  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Gunslinger

• New Bee
Package Question
« on: April 07, 2009, 07:46:05 am »
Hello, Today I picked up my 2 packages and one is much larger than the other.
Can I shake some of the bees from the larger package into the smaller packages hive to even them up a bit?
Will mixing them be a problem?

Offline beeslinger

• New Bee
Re: Package Question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:53:51 am »
 Just puting them together will probably cause a big problem. I have used 1 sheet of newspaper between 2 supers. It keeps the seperated long enought to accept (in most cases) each other.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:29:37 am »
personally I would have removed the syrup can from both and weighed them.  You probably got a 2lbs package by accident.  I would then return it to the person you bought it from demanding the size package you bought.  The price varies.  However if you are sure you want to go ahead and keep them, then just spray the larger package down really really really heavy with water or light syrup and just shake the amount of bees in front of the entrance of the colony you want to introduce them 2.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:26:37 am »
Or maybe he got a 3# and a 4# package.  If there are sufficient bees in the smaller package, I would install as is and feed 'em syrup to get them started building comb.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:50:10 am »
As Beemac mentioned weigh them, if things are really lop sided call the supplier.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Gunslinger

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:28 pm »
I don't have any complaints the person I bought them from is a great guy. He didn't offer a 4lb package so I would suspect the people that did the packing were just more generous with one.

I appreciate the responses and advice. I'm off to install my bees.......

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:51:15 pm »
If you really want to even them out (which I wouldn't mess with) then put the queen and the amount you want in the one hive and close the rest back up with the can.  Install the other package.  Wait a few hours and then add the bees (who now know they are queenless) to the hive you want them in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin