Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extractor Motor Dependability  (Read 2175 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Extractor Motor Dependability
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:10:05 am »
I was talking with a bee keeper who lives a little over 10 or 11 miles north of me. Actually his mom does the majority of the bee keeping. We were talking about extractors. He said they only use about half the space in the extractor - every other one. The reason is they had a motor burn out after two or three years of use. Does anyone else use this practice or has had the same thing happen to them? Thanks.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Extractor Motor Dependability
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:42:09 am »
?

He is using half the capacity= then he has to use the extractor twice as long.

No wonder he is burning out the motors.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:57:09 am »
The brand name of the extractor will have a lot to do with this problem.
Most times, you get what you pay for. What the name on the extractor?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »
I have not had any problems with my 18 frame motorized Mann Lake. I suspect it may be how they are using it. If they are trying to start out on too high of a speed, it would put a lot of stress and heat on the windings. Also see if they use the top cover or is it removed. This will cause a lot of drag when it is left open. If you have any doubts, just run the extractor at a high speed, fully loaded and then open the top. It will slow down a lot. Another thing might bee that they are extracting with the gate valve closed and it is filling up and the motor is trying to stir the honey in the bottom. When you are using a motorized tool, listen to it. If something goes wrong you can hear the change.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 04:29:27 pm »
run the extractor at a high speed, fully loaded and then open the top. It will slow down a lot. Another thing might bee that they are extracting with the gate valve closed and it is filling up and the motor is trying to stir the honey in the bottom. When you are using a motorized tool, listen to it. If something goes wrong you can hear the change.

Many wise Words  ;)

Also if you don't close the lid to the extractor it blows the air out of the extractor. This can keep you cool, BUT if there is air blowing out its also sucking air into the extractor over the honey, dust and other pollutants, also the honey aromas and tastes diminishes.

So keep it shut.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 08:08:21 pm »
They could have just got a bad motor.  If the wire it is plugged in to is the right size that can also make it run hot and burn up.  There are a lot of reasons why, we are just giving some of the things that could have happened.

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 06:57:55 am »
Hey gang, Thanks for the info. This being my first year I have 0 experience with an extractor. I don't know anything about his set up. I've only met him once and talked with him two other times.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Moots

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 10:40:02 am »
I have not had any problems with my 18 frame motorized Mann Lake. I suspect it may be how they are using it. If they are trying to start out on too high of a speed, it would put a lot of stress and heat on the windings. Also see if they use the top cover or is it removed. This will cause a lot of drag when it is left open. If you have any doubts, just run the extractor at a high speed, fully loaded and then open the top. It will slow down a lot. Another thing might bee that they are extracting with the gate valve closed and it is filling up and the motor is trying to stir the honey in the bottom. When you are using a motorized tool, listen to it. If something goes wrong you can hear the change.
Jim

** Emphasis added

Jim,
This is good information, makes obvious sense, but I had never even thought about it, just assumed the cover was strictly a safety issue.  I got the 9 frame Maxant and love it.  It appears to have no problem running fully loaded...but wondering if I should get in the habit of using the cover to help protect the lifespan of the unit?  Or, is it probably not that significant of an issue?  :?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »
using the cover to help protect the lifespan of the unit?  Or, is it probably not that significant of an issue?

I always keep the lid closed so not to get dust and loose flavor in the honey.

But to check the theory of more drag and load by driving the extractor at full speed with the lid on and of

Then turn of the electricity and time how long it takes to come to a stand still or total stop.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:41 pm »
Moots,
I suspect it has to do with the load. If you only have a few frames in it or most are not full, it may not matter. If you have fully loaded frames and you try to run at full speed you will probably heat the motor beyond it's design temperatures. I always start slow and slowly increase the speed. I listen to the motor. As the honey extracts you can hear the motor speed up. Then I increase the speed. I keep the lid down but as I am finishing a load, If it tests above 18%, I sometimes open it to allow a little bit of drying. I do not leave it open for long. Feel the temperature of the motor with your hand. If you cannot keep you hand on it, it is running too hot.
I have never had the motor to hot to lean the back of my hand on it for extended length of time. Your palm is far less sensitive than the back of your hand.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:17:16 pm »
another possibility is that they are running on a too long &/or too light gauge of an extension cord.

anything