Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the new menagerie begins!  (Read 4283 times)

Offline phil c

• House Bee
the new menagerie begins!
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:03:30 pm »
well, the place is just buzzing! we already had the bees, chickens, and my daughters rabbits, now we have added 2 angus x heiffer calves, they will be my daughters 4-H projects. later in the week we will be picking up some feeder pigs, for fall butcher(homegrown tastes so much better!)  we are also giving serious consideration to picking up a small herd of goats this summer.
Anybody want to come help build fence?
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: the new menagerie begins!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »
I just spent the last 3 summers building primater and cross fencing on my 1.5 acre farm.  I raise sheep (4), goats (2), chickens (a lot), Turkeys (8), rabbits (4), ducks (4), 1 geunia, pigeons (50 +/-), and beehives (4) and expanding.  I have 18 fruit trees, 3 nut trees, and a 75 ft by 75 ft garden area.  I route all the rain water to barrels or water troughs and compost everything that rots.

I'm into intensive sustainence farmining, but being within the city limits I'm limited to what has been on the property historically (grandfathered) so no pigs.  I can grow 6 lambs a year or 1 beef animal, so it makes more sense to go with sheep.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline phil c

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:02:23 am »
Thank you to the moderators for moving this, I just was braindead when I posted in the wrong place!
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »
Go for the goats, most entertaining animals I've ever raised. As for the fence, a wise man once told me throw a bucket of water on your fence, if the water gets thru, so will the goats. ;)
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 06:51:05 pm »
Go for the goats, most entertaining animals I've ever raised. As for the fence, a wise man once told me throw a bucket of water on your fence, if the water gets thru, so will the goats. ;)

I would recommend a 6ft fence consisting of 5ft 2X4 welded wire on 3 rails with a strand of electrified barbed wire at the top.  I spaced my rails so I got 5ft 4in from ground to top of top rail.  This will keep all but coyotes out and even they won't usually go the the trouble of digging under a ground level fence.  The electrified barbed wire keeps climbing wild animals (raccoons etc) out and tame ones in (goats).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:06 am »
... we are also giving serious consideration to picking up a small herd of

goats this summer.  Anybody want to come help build fence?

Phil, listen to Riggs or get a good supply of bouncing Betty land mines if you are planning to keep goats inside a fence.  Either that or buy a chain saw and cut a leg or three off each of your goats.   Most old range laws only called for a four foot deep ditch or else a 4 rail fence to keep cows inside a pasture or out of your crops.  I believe the humorous Mark Twain who once claimed, "... A Billy goat will get out of a ten (10) rail fence."