Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lifted lid today  (Read 6856 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: Lifted lid today
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2009, 09:46:05 pm »
I agree with trying to save them, but not to the tune of $350-400 for a solar set-up!  It's a great idea, but I can buy many more bees in the spring if I want to spend that kind of money! 

Offline my-smokepole

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2009, 11:54:21 pm »
I agree about the $300+ dollars.  The one a hive at the house I can put on a cord. Witch is the one I am babying,The other ones I will have to see about some cheep rigging.
David
My-smokepole

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 06:38:19 pm »
MY hives our about 30' from front door of our house.I went out on DEC 24Th and bought (2)  25' strings of Christmas lights large bulbs red $7.00 on clearance at TrueValue Hardware. 7 Watts per bulb I put one Bulb in each hive. Turning loose any unneeded bulbs.I also put a empty super box on each hive. some sugar and a bag of poly snow mat on clearance $.99 cents. all seems to be well. Any changes I will up date
Russ

Offline wetland bee

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 06:22:00 pm »
Just had idea. Received a new weather center for Christmas. So I have wireless out door thermometer I do not need. So I put it in  one of my strongest hives it has been staying at 58 to 59 degs outside temp is 20 degs and very windy 15 to 20 mph
Russ

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »
Now that's a good idea.  Mine are too far from the house I think, but that's still a good idea.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.