Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Post Catch Routine  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Cheech

• New Bee
Post Catch Routine
« on: September 03, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »
To all you bee catching experts. How do you treat the bees after catching to ensure success?
I just cut a branch with a swarm, put into a TBH with some sugar water and the next day they flew away.

Cheech

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
Re: Post Catch Routine
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »
Yeah, does anyone put in a queen excluder between the bottom board and the hive body?  I don't use TBHs and have had good luck putting swarms on new foundation with one drawn frame in the middle to start.  But one of my cut outs absconded after 2 - 3 days this year.

Jc
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »
Finding the queen and putting her in a queen clip for a couple days will make it more likely they will stay.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »
A queen excluder may work or may not.
A virgin or newly mated queen may still go through the excluder.if using as a queen included,remember it also traps drones,so only use it for a couple days.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:30 pm »
I try my best to cage every queen at least two days while feeding them. This allows them to build comb/have cells ready for laying by mated queens. this usually does the trick.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »
Drawn foundation is good also.   I like to throw a frame or 2 of drawn foundation in with a swarm.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:29:02 pm »
I try to cage the queen as well. Open brood will help to anchor them too.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Cheech

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:46 pm »
Thanks guys for the replies.  It never occurred to me that catching the queen (or securing her somehow) was so important.
I'v seen JP and Hardwood painstakingly try to find the queen in every video, I tried to find her but it was nightfall, and I just cut the branch with the swarm and put it into the TBH, hoping that since the queen was in the box, then they would stay.
They stayed for one day, then the next morning no bees to be seen.
Nothing like learning first hand

BTW, love your videos JP and Hardwood, can't wait to see Schawee back at it

Cheers

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 01:53:52 am »
Cheech,

Sometimes even with a queen - they just don't like the box.  I took a swarm this last spring that was finicky.  Brought it home in a 5-frame nuc - and opened up the entrance. The next morning - around 11am - they exited the box and went to a limb of a tree in my yard.  I re-caught the swarm and put them in a different box - and this time they liked it.

The same colony, though - about a month later had the queen leave after I placed a screened bottom board under the brood boxes.  I found her and caged her and replaced into the hive.   This particular hive just doesn't like changes in their environment, I suppose.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »
I'm too lazy (i.e. I'm not good at it) to look for the queen in a swarm.  I put a frame of open brood in a 5 frame nuc, knock the swarm in and once they start fanning and marching I give them another 10 minutes and leave with the hive.  If the customer is needing them all gone I offer to come back after dark to remove the nuc.  This gets all the stragglers and I do charge for the return visit.  Some folks are more than happy to pay it (commercial locations and some homeowners who are very spooked).  I've never had one reissue if I put open brood in there.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 05:14:25 pm »
Yep...I use the excluder between the floor and first box...Its a great idea! I'm not much of a queen finder either....Most bees I catch are hot!( africanized!) But I like to keep them long enuff to find out!
your friend,
john

anything