Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 or 3 brood boxes ?  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
2 or 3 brood boxes ?
« on: May 29, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »
One of the local beeks is a strong advocate for the use of 3 brood boxes ( 9 & 5/8" ) on a hive. He feels that the 3rd box gives you more flexibility and options when working the bees. It seems to me to be an added expense.

What (if any) are the advantages of a 3rd brood box?

Regards,
Tucker1
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: 2 or 3 brood boxes ?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 12:57:46 am »
I run on two 9 5/8 hive bodies per colony, when they get those full split them.  In my opinion three hive bodies would hinder working the medium supers because they are too high off the ground.  I'm lazy, I don't like lifting any higher than need be...LOL

David     

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 02:27:43 am »
A third brood box is only necessary if you're using medium supers exclusively or have a very very prolific queen which means a 3rd box might be necessary for a month or so at the heighth of the season.  I know of nowhere in the USA (including Alaska) where more than 2 deeps are necessary for overwintering if the bees are forced to back fill the majority of the broodchamber prior to clustering.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline stinger27

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 02:32:23 am »
    I think it has alot to do with your climate.  If you have long harsh winters it would probably be a good idea to go with three.  That way they would have more food stores to get them through.  I myself only use one deep on my hive and leave them a shallow super of honey. I have done this with mine for three years and they come through great. But my winters are short and mild. Hope this helps.
Bee Safe,
    Stinger27

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:40:16 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
Three deeps is a lot of open space, especially in winter. Figure out how much honey they need to get through, and give them that much space. Unless they can fill three deeps in the flow and still provide a surplus, what's the point of giving them the extra space? Maybe if you stick to two deeps until the fall, and then add the third for them to fill going into winter...but I don't see the need for that many brood boxes through the rest of the year.

Talk to your local club members, rather than just one beek. Sometimes one opinion isn't the general consensus.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

anything