Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bleach  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
bleach
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:26 pm »
I just got a call for a removal AFTER they sprayed bleach water in the hole.......  will the girls be ok or is it a clean and dump?  I don't know much about bleach
thanks
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: bleach
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:22:47 pm »
I don't know what the deal is with the aftermath on that but what on earth were they thinking on spraying bleach into the hive?
It takes all kinds I guess.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »
It only killed what it contacted at that time. Chlorine evaporates fast and after a couple hours, the water was all that was left.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 11:31:04 pm »
Theres only one way to find out, now get in there :-D

It always gets me when someone calls AFTER they spray them with something, now come and save the bees after I just tried to kill them.

I would say if the entrance was small and to wards the bottom you will do alright. Who really knows how strong the mix was.

Good luck with it and we need pics!!

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:46:50 pm »
Where is this hive located? I was thinking tree when you said small entrance hole but just wondering.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 02:03:42 am »
Most people don't do jack when they say they've sprayed them. I get very concerned when dusts have been used, they can really contaminate a hive.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:01 am »
Theres only one way to find out, now get in there :-D

It always gets me when someone calls AFTER they spray them with something, now come and save the bees after I just tried to kill them.

I would say if the entrance was small and to wards the bottom you will do alright. Who really knows how strong the mix was.

Good luck with it and we need pics!!

G3
I know I'm way behind on the photos people I have a way of breaking cameras.........
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:03:12 am »
I know what you mean about the cameras. Mine was in the truck seat yesterday and it started raining with the windows down. Got a little wet but don't think it got hurt.

Just giving you a hard time, I just love to see all of everybodies adventures.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Rebel Rose Apiary

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:57:37 am »
I know what you mean about the cameras. Mine was in the truck seat yesterday and it started raining with the windows down. Got a little wet but don't think it got hurt.

Just giving you a hard time, I just love to see all of everybodies adventures.

G3

Cameras??  :shock: I think that JP is still waiting for me to post a picture of my metal queen catcher from Germany! I left my camera on the tailgate some time ago and it rained....it rained about 4 inches before I remembered my camera! It dried out, but now the quality of pictures is not so good.... :oops:

I think that the main damage to the camera (mine anways) is from moisture that got trapped inside....it left a film (no pun intended) inside the camera over the lens....which now makes it produce crappy pictures!

I never had anyone try using bleach on bees before. I agree that it would evaporate rapidly....especially in this heat! I know that bees get water from highly chlorinated swimming pools and it does not seem to bother them any.

Listen to what JP tells 'ya. JP has a sixth sense about these things.... :-D

I got a call about bees inside a house wall, just above a window. They said that they had someone in the family with allergies to bee stings.....but they wanted to try some 'concentrated spray that they ordered special from Ace Hardware...it would be in soon and after they tried the spray, they would call me back! It was a smaller opening too!

Brenda

anything