Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shaking out a hive to find the queen as a last resort  (Read 2732 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Shaking out a hive to find the queen as a last resort
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:20:10 am »
Hi everybody, an old time beekeeper suggested shaking out a hive could, as a last resort, be a means of finding the queen. He said to put an excluder above the base board, shake, replace the super and frames above the excluder and the queen will make her way back in. Next day a small cluster of bees will be on the under side of the excluder with the queen. Does that sound feasible?

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Shaking out a hive to find the queen as a last resort
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:34 am »
Sounds risky to me. Why do you need to find her?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:13 am »
I wouldn't try it!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:12:24 am »
nope.  not very many good reasons for even looking for her.  what's your reason?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:09:30 pm »
To potentially stop losing half my bees in the hive to a swarm. There are queen cells present but the queen is still in the hive laying-I have tried three times to find her so as to do a split

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »
Do the split anyway. Just leave queen cells in both halves and move both about 6 feet from the original site. Intersperse empty frames amongst the full frames in both halves.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 05:23:32 pm »
You have summer in Australia.

Last autumn we tried to change the queen but problems was how to find a virgin queen. It obviosly was there.

I shaked the bees in front of the hive and I put an excluder in front of the entrance. When almost all bees were inside, the queen was to be seen. It was small like a worker. Abdomen was a little bit longer and long hind legs.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 05:56:57 pm »
  to find queen -put a frame of brood from another hive-inside and check back in
about 45 minutes --queen will be on that frame- ;) -RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 06:13:00 pm »
If you have a mad hive and you cannot look the frames for attacking, devide the hive. Move brood boxes some metres away. Bees will fly to old place and those boxes, which doe not have a queen, will become nervous.
When the worst gang has gone, you may look for the queen.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
Oz, is this the hive that superseded its queen? If so these are not swarm cells, if you have a laying queen just move these cells to a nuc or do nothing as I mentioned earlier.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 09:04:20 pm »
it really doesnt matter where the queen is if you are doing a split just make sure that some of the frames that you put into your new hive has swarm cells on it. The queen will kill the swarm cells in the hive she is in and the swarm cells will hatch out on the hive without the queen. 

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »
it really doesnt matter where the queen is if you are doing a split just make sure that some of the frames that you put into your new hive has swarm cells on it. The queen will kill the swarm cells in the hive she is in and the swarm cells will hatch out on the hive without the queen. 
  better be careful on this typically i find that mated queen wont chew up queen cells-virgins do it right off the bat- 8-)
 :) RDY-B

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:02:31 am »
Oz, is this the hive that superseded its queen? If so these are not swarm cells, if you have a laying queen just move these cells to a nuc or do nothing as I mentioned earlier.

...JP

Hey JP, it's one of the three yeah... I'm questioning my 'diagnosis' of it being supersedure cells :( I think doing nothing might be the safest bet though! Worst case I lose some bees to a swarm - I can always combine other swarms with it as it's still swarm season here. I just didn't want to be a beekeeper who had his hives swarm :(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:40 am »

...JP

Hey JP, it's one of the three yeah... I'm questioning my 'diagnosis' of it being supersedure cells :( I think doing nothing might be the safest bet though! Worst case I lose some bees to a swarm - I can always combine other swarms with it as it's still swarm season here. I just didn't want to be a beekeeper who had his hives swarm :(

Oz, you wouldn't be the first or the last bee keeper to have their hives swarm my friend.  :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything