Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Hive Feeders  (Read 5254 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Top Bar Hive Feeders
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »
I am going to help a friend start a TBH and he wanted to know how does he feed the bees. Well I don't really know, so I am turning to the forum. He would like to see as many suggestions as possible with photos if possible.

Also plans on how to make it would be appreciated as well.  I will be teaching him beekeeping, but I know nothing about TBH's so I have to learn as much as possible over the next few months.

We want to know about giving syrup for the Spring and how to do that??

Thanks so much
Annette

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
Re: Top Bar Hive Feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:40:15 pm »
There are more posts on this topic further down, but I say just use a baggie feeder at first.  They are guick, easy, and disposable.  Later you can add a follower feeder.  Lots of plans for those floating around.  I only feed a package to get it started and after that they are on their own.  If they are to stupid to know how to survive I would just as soon lose their genes from my apiary.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:59:19 am »
But when you place the baggie feeder on the top bars, you need some space above it before you place the top cover on. Isn't this correct?? What do you use for the extra space??

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:47:32 am »
Put the baggie feeder on the bottom.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:51 am »
Annette, he can baggie feed and open feed.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42:07 am »
I built a couple of hanging (division board like) feeders and successfully overwintered 4 nucs in a TBH my first year feeding with them.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21940.msg168645.html#msg168645
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:38:46 pm »
OK, lots of good information. I like the baggie feeder idea since I use baggie feeders for my own hives.  I also like the design that Robo uses.

Now I have lots to think about.  I have never done any open feeding as I am always worried about robbing. JP no worries about robbing???