Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Building Frames  (Read 12909 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Building Frames
« on: November 14, 2006, 09:24:41 pm »
I did a search and couldnt find any thing.

Im VERY frustrated... My Outer cover isnt the right size, My Bottom board doesnt have the right measurement.  :-x .

And then I give up on those until I can actualy have time To FIX them, I decide to start on frames, I have a ton to do, and I sat their for half an hour, Trying to get the foundation in, Trying to keep the foundation in while putting the groves lined up, and it was total Frustration! and when I put it in I cant nail it cause I have to hold every thing together....

How do you build frames and foundation?  :'(
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Building Frames
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:54:53 pm »
Hello Cody,
I think you should try putting the wood together first(don't forget the glue)then nail.  With that done and glue dried try to put the foundation in. Hope this helps on the frame assembly. :mrgreen:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:53:40 pm »
A J21 stapler or, better yet, a 1/4" crown staper, is a great help.  Putting frames together is simply difficult. Little nails that bend easily etc.  A frame assembly jig is helpful for putting the frames together.  A foundation board is helpful for putting foundation in and essential for wiring foundation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 11:36:43 pm »
i have a compressor, so i got a nailer/stapler.  made the whole thing much easier. if you can't do that, use a smaller hammer.  it's easier than a big one for such tight work. i didn't use glue, but many do. foundation goes in after frames are built.    you are using wax foundation in wood frames?  at the top of the frame should be a thin strip of wood that will strip away from the frame with a screwdriver or knife (don't cut yourself!).  foundation will go in easily with strip removed and you just tack it back in when you are done.  and....it doesn't have to be perfect.  just secure.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:52:45 am »
When building frames the foundation is always the last thing added. 
1.  Build a jig--mine hold 9 medium frames.
1a. Put in eyelets if you're using them.
2.  Positiion end pieces and nail top bar onto them.
3.  Attach bottom bar.
4.  Wire frames
5.  Place wax in frame and secure with cleat or settle in edgeless frames with bees wax.
6.  Embed wax into frames or install wax pins.

Discard busted peices and use in smoker.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline empilolo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 05:28:54 am »
If you use nails, always give the sharp end a little tap with the hammer first, blunting the nails slightly. Funny enough, wood splits less often when nails are "blunted" first.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:53:00 am »
Use a frame jig as Brian suggested.
http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/
or
http://www.beesource.com/plans/framejig.htm

Also soaking the end bars in water helps reduced splitting.  Splitting seems to be highly dependent on the manufacturer.  Some are really good and some are just so so.

I also like to put a nail thru the top of the side bars, just under the top bar tab into the top bar.  Between using glue and these two nails, the chances of prying top bars off of full frames is greatly reduced.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:36:33 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:34:11 am »
the right choice of wood is also important. linden wood is the best for frames.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 03:46:52 pm »
Thanks for the links and suggestions.

Frames are horrible I don't like them any more.. I think ill go with the staple gun. The biggest Problem I have is putting the Wedge back with the Foundation in.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 04:16:45 pm by beemaster »
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 04:20:30 pm »
Cody:

Really sorry to hear all the problems you are having. Usually, even without special jigs, frame assembly goes much easier. I know you even had fit issues with out covers, etc.. Al this seems so rare, I honestly have never seen such issues - I know your Mom is in a manic state. Best wishes buddy, hope all works out.

(light humor warning)

If your outer cover is 6 inches too long one way and 6 inches to short the other, rotate it 90 degrees and try again.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:53:43 pm »
the wedge is a PIA.  that's where the small hammer comes in handy.  before i got the gun, i used a multi-tool with a little hammer head.  it was just the right size to tap that wedge back in.  remember also that the wedge is not weight bearing, so you can use small nails or staples that will go into the wood a little easier.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 08:10:16 pm »
Cody, next time you could buy them assembled with foundation for under $2.00 each.  That would take all of the fun out of the experince though. 8-)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 01:38:24 am »
>>The biggest Problem I have is putting the Wedge back with the Foundation in.

And here I always thought it was the easiest part.

Robo,
Do  mean somebody forgets to put the cross nail in the frame?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 07:51:32 am »
Robo,
Do  mean somebody forgets to put the cross nail in the frame?

Probably more than not.  Most of the directions provide with frames are terrible. Most beginers have never experienced they joy of prying up a frame and only getting the top bar,  so it never crosses their mind when building.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 02:21:02 pm »
The directions for my first 20 frames had nothing about a cross nail. A few over-pried frames later, and it is a must.  And with my handy dandy little air-nailer, it is a real breeze!!
Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Directions??? What directions? I never have seen directions for putting frames together.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 11:34:09 am »
The instructions is some of the stuff we throw away as soon as we upack everything. :mrgreen:

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 02:40:17 pm »
I realized a while ago that I didn't want my Beekeeping to be like everything else in my life.I usually have troble with my bees and beekeeping when I'm in a hurray.So I take my time know especially with the bees and it has removed my frustration.When I'm not working my bees I'm reading MICHEAL BUSH'S web page .The better I understand the better it takes ENJOY YOUR BEEKEEPING ACTIVITY
kiro
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 02:56:35 pm »
Directions??? What directions? I never have seen directions for putting frames together.

Same with me. But it very funny that people do same work with very different way

Eyelets
Clue - not clue
nail, when and how much
how to tighten wires
how many wires 2, 3, 4, none
how to put wax
wax without lower gap, ow with 10 mm gap
how to embed wire inside wax

hit together in mount or with fingers
tighten wire with apparatus or with fingers

And perhaps many more

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 02:57:01 pm »
I guess the makers of frame parts assume us beekeepers would use directions for smoker fuel - I've never seen them packed with parts either.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.