Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Winter...Nervous  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
First Winter...Nervous
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:25:25 pm »
Well, I have made my candy boards and have tucked the girls in for a long winter's nap (I hope not too long!). I admit that I am a bit nervous, since my bees have in the last month endured two ferocious robbing raids with thousands of casualties. I hope the candy boards work. To fill in those who do not know, I got my bees , 13 hives, at the end of October, and the man I got them from was the kind who removes all of the honey, leaving only a brood box and a short super. However, He had not fed or medicated the bees at all. I have been trying franically to feed them every chance I get. But as it turned out, the covers were warped on several of the hives and set off robbing frenzies. I am hoping my colonies are strong enough to last the winter.

Any encouraging thoughts? Advice?
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: First Winter...Nervous
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:40:25 pm »
As long as you can keep feeding them, they should not starve. This seems like the most important thing to me.

I understand how nervous you must feel. You have done the best you can do, now you have to drop the attachment. I have made myself totally crazy over these bees numerous times and I do not want to suffer over it anymore, I want to enjoy it.  Whenever I get any sort of negative thought in my head or any anxiety attack about them I change it or think of something else.

Hope this helps
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:44:10 am »
Like Annette said, all you can do is feed them and tuck them in. Maybe tell them a story or two but don't fret. Worrying is a waste of time. There will always be losses but also lots of lessons, learning, and gains. Splits, swarm catching, and cut-outs come spring.

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 04:00:53 am »
Wintering advices california, l got nervous. 8-)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 07:44:12 am »
or medicated the bees at all

I would be more worried about this.   Did you do anything to address it? Winter is blamed for more tracheal & varroa losses than you can shake a stick at.

I wish you well.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 11:34:03 am »
Hopeful, this is your first year of beekeeping, there will be many more, you have received the "call of the bee", once you get this, you are hooked, hee, hee  :) ;) :).  It is an addiction.

You have done all that you can right now, that is good.  The candy boards will serve as emergency feeding.  It is 100% unknown at this point what will come of them.  But time will tell that tale.  Keep up the good work, again, you have done everything that you, as a new person to this field of apiculture, could do.  Good.  They are tucked in for the winter.  Good.  They may surprise you completely and come flying through this winter in wonderful shape.  We will hope for that.  So, relax, do lots of studying, become informed about beekeeping, and then do more studying.  The hands on experience will come next year, that will be your greatest teacher, and you're gonna love what you're doin'.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 11:41:46 am »
You are in good company as far as worry goes...We had our first frost last night, I hope I am doing right by the bees...Unfortunately I have grown very attached to these insects!  Ugh...I still feed the 2:1, and hope that is okay todo...they seems to have a good amount of stores...we'll see... :roll:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:03:44 pm »
Sharon, I hope that I am not advising you wrong, everyone's climate is so different.  But if you are now experiencing freezing temperatures, your bees are in their winter cluster for sure.

You say that you believe that they have enough stores.  Then...you must stop feeding them the sugar syrup solution.  The bees cannot "work" the sugar syrup when they are particularly in the winter cluster.  The problem with sugar syrup solution now is that there will be considerable moisture present and this is not good for the colonies.  Stop feeding is my advice. 

Lift the end of each colony, if they feel heavy, then they have plenty of stores.  That is what has been imparted here on the forum to judge the condition of the winter stores.  I am not an expert by no means, but this is a strong impression that I have received.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 11:14:39 am »
Thank you so much Cindi...Winters here are very mild, I suppose I used the term "freeze" too lightly..there was some frost on the lower ground...Don't know if that constitutes freeze...I will remove the feeder and keep my fingers crossed...The sun has been out almost every day and around 2 pm SO many bees are going in and out of the hive...there is still food out there for them, I amnot sure what the activity is that they are in...Just a plethora of bees going in and out...i am so cornfused  :-\

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 11:28:34 am »
The worrying gets worse as early spring seems to never arrive. If no mistakes are made than your not learning!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 12:47:40 pm »
and the man I got them from was the kind who removes all of the honey, leaving only a brood box and a short super. However, He had not fed or medicated the bees at all.

Is this his normal procedure, and does he have a lot of losses?  If yes and no, then perhaps you are worrying too much.  If no and yes...well that's another matter....

Your climate is somewhat different from mine, but I have a feeling that at this point all you can do is sit back, find a second hobby, and be what your name says.  Try not to hover over them for the next few months because that will disturb them, and that's not good too often.  You've done what you can and anything else at this point will only make bigger problems.

If you want to hover, then just listen at the side of the box every few weeks.  You can usually hear them buzzing, a knock will make it louder, but once again, that disturbs them, so not too often.

Perhaps in Jan/Feb if there is a semi-warm day, then you could lift the top quickly and see where they are...if they are eating much of the candy boards, then worry about it, add another board or dry sugar, but don't worry about it now.

Don't worry, after a few years winters get easier.  For you, not necessarily for them.... :roll:

Rick
Rick

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 01:04:35 am »
   My question is did you address the warped top issue?  If not and they are 'flimsy' enough a few bricks may hold them down to, at least, prevent entry by any future robbers in warm weather. 

I know this may have been a DUH question but I've learned that the little things can be overlooked then turn around to bite ya in the rear later on. :evil:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 09:43:17 am »
Sharon, I hear your plight about confusion.  I still feel very confused about some aspects of the bees.  I don't think that ever goes away (well, not in my life anyways).  Do you have any beekeepers in your vicinity that you can talk to about the expectations of the wintertime?  I mean, ones that are seasoned and have had bees for a long time?  There must be someone that you can speak with that can advise you about the winter time and feed near you.  It sounds like you had some light frost, is what I would call is going on.  Not freezing temperatures.  There can be a shimmer of frost on the ground in the morning and then temps rise enough that the bees can fly freely.

I know it is tough to understand stuff.  It will take a long time before you feel really comfortable.  Look at me.  Got my bees in April 2005, that is over 2 years ago.  I study all the time, lots, and I still have so much to learn, only on the tip of that iceberg.

Did you go and lift one end of the hives to feel the weight.  Sharon, that is important, that will give you a good idea of what is inside.  You can do this every week, every two weeks, whenever, that will make you feel more comfortable.  Get to know what a "heavy" hive feels like.  I know that sounds hard, but it really isn't.  I have lifted the back of my hives.  I know they are full of stores. I am wintering in two deeps in each colony, my choice here.  When I lift the back of the hive, it feels REALLY HEAVY and is hard to lift up.  That is what I would describe as a heavy feel.  You are a woman, you will have similar strength to me, so if they feel like I describe, you know for surely that they have lots.  Do you still have flowers blooming?  Will you have flowers, etc. blooming and continuing on this next summer?  I can't quite get a grip on what weather you have there.  I hope things all work out and this may have eased your worried mind a little bit, we are all in this together.....raising healthy and happy bees, to make healthy and happy human beings.  Have the most wonderful and great day, Cindi

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 11:12:07 am »
OOHH thank you muchly Cindi...there is still blooming going on around here, manzanita, bottle brush, some sage, and very soon acacia...the bees are busy going in and out of the hive...I will try noe yo get a  stomach ulcer from worrying... :roll:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:14:54 am »
Sharon.......are you going to go and lift the back of your hives when you get a chance to feel the weight (come on.....you know you can do it  ;) :) :) :)).  I am curious about how things are going down there.  I see the temperature right now is 35 F, just a little above freezing, you are in the same time zone as me.  We are at 0 C (32 F).  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 03:06:27 pm »
>>>>   My question is did you address the warped top issue?  <<<<

Yes, I ordered all new telescoping tops and inside covers. They are a non-issue right now because I have switched it all out to candy boards for the winter. We are getting some real bad weather right noew, and hope everything is okay with my girls....and with with the bees too!  :-D
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:32 pm »
Cold does not kill bees. Do not worry anymore.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 12:07:37 am »
Cold does not kill bees. Do not worry anymore.
If the cluster moves off food -and is positioned in a place they cant reach food-they wont be able to generate heat with out food to eat -some say they starve but first they can and do freeze -takes enough bees to keep warm-and that takes enough food - and has to be obtainable-even in cali all it takes is a ten day cold snap - if they are off honey when it hits they may not make it -candy boards probably will do the trick  ;) RDY-B

anything