Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee suits  (Read 12409 times)

Offline joe goble

• New Bee
bee suits
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:37:22 am »
I am just getting started in beekeeping and would like to know what bee suit is the best. I looked at ultrabreeze suits but i can't seem to bring my self to spend that much on a suit do to the fact that, I am just getting started thanks joe

Offline okiequeenbee

• New Bee
Re: bee suits
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:56:33 am »
Joe, when I started keeping bees I used a heavy denim long sleeve shirt for the longest time.  I now have a zip cotton windbreaker type of jacket that I wear.  I also have a pair of coveralls that I use when doing cutouts and honey harvest.  I can still get stung thru these, but not bad.  I wear a hat/veil combo and gloves.  But next weekend I plan on purchasing an UltraBreeze jacket.  I have heard so many good things about them that I have to have one for myself.   X:X
Just remember to relax and have fun with your bees.  Use your smoker, move slow and don't drop any frames.  :shock:
Good Luck
Today, I see Life as my eyes have never seen it before - and, OH, how they shine.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:04:39 am »
Joe also,

The first time I bought a suit I got it to fit. Big mistake Always buy it a few sizes big that way when you bend over or reach out the cuffs do not expose your wrist or other areas. I bought a dadant jacket and veil and really liked it ( had I bought it a few sizes larger) I broke down and finally bought the ultrabreeze suit I really like it. It is a little heavier than I thought it would be but you get great air flow through it.
But like I said for the money and a beginner the Dadant jacket and veil worked great for me.

Keith

Offline cundald

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »
I just purchased the hooded jacket from Dadant and am planning on using painter pants with them.  I also have just a vial, to us for quick inspection.  I have been told, by many experienced beekeepers that bees proffer not to sting.  Depending on your geographical location, careful handling if the bees and proper use of smoke, is sufficient in many cases.   I plan on going without gloves this year, I’ve been told that it improve you dexterity and keeps you from crushing bees.

cundald
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:38:04 pm »
Hooded jacket with jeans.  Never got stung through jeans--yet!!  i also keep just a hat and veil around to do quick checks or change out feedings.  oh, have gotten stung through that jacket where the elbow bends.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »
I am just getting started in beekeeping and would like to know what bee suit is the best. I looked at ultrabreeze suits but i can't seem to bring my self to spend that much on a suit do to the fact that, I am just getting started thanks joe

Get the Ultrabreeze jacket and just wear jeans or cargo pants.  I have worn cargo pants from the beginning and it has been fine. Jeans are too hot for me in FL.  I have received some strings through them but not many and usually they are not as bad since they don't seem to get as good of penetration. 

I somewhat disagree with one of the posts above.  They mentioned they have a veil for quick inspection but I have found that I can get the jacket on faster than the veil by far (at least the one I have with the string to tighten it).  Now, if you are not concerned with it being sealed tight, ok, but I don't like bees in the veil and if not sealing the veil tight, they always seem to find a way in. 

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:10:46 pm »
The reason I grab the veil for quick inspections is because I'm in a t-shirt and it's hot.  I don't have "hot" bees either.  A quick inspection is not an invasion into the hive so the bees don't come out ready for action--oh, i don't use smoke either.   I'd like to see the person who could put on a jacket, pull the hood over, zip the hood on, zip the jacket up--faster than I can put on that veil and tie that string!!   That seems a little unrealistic at least using the present physics we are now under. :evil:   I am not a veteran beek but the people who are don't seem to have jackets and veils, just a helmet and veil and short sleeves--could be wrong though.  My two cents are worth exactly two cents!!! :-X
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:43:14 pm »
Hard to beat for the price.

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=723

I agree that it is quicker to throw the jacket/veil combo on than the single veil.

I also really like the ultrabreeze.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:46:16 pm »
JP, oh you're so ding dang cute!!!  Beautiful day in our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:42 pm »
mann lake as about the same for about the same price.  i'd order from the company that can give you the better shipping price.   also....i found that my local bee place has mann lake stuff, and sometimes it's worth the couple bucks extra that they charge to avoid the shipping fee. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:56 pm »

Joe I think that most people wonder if they are going to stay in beekeeping when they first begin.  I just did the basic square veil and gauntlets with a white painters coverall and it was fine for the first year or two and it will be for you until you know if you have the bug for the bugs.

When that time comes then you can decide if you want to put out for the good stuff.  I have both the Golden Bee (the one in my picture to the left) and the Ultrabreeze full suit and the jacket.  Either of these suits will last for many years.   My oldest, the Golden Bee, I bought in 2001 and I have used heavily since and it has no rips, holes, and the zippers are like new.  You will save money buying these suits and be more comfortable in the long run, and if you are comfortable you will be more likely to continue beekeeping.  Another consideration is that you will take better care of your bees cause you will get out there in the scorching sun.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 12:42:26 am »
I bought 2 of the ultrabreeze jackets (one for my wife) and they are really comfortable. When shopping for protective clothing, I realized that going outside in the summer wearing shorts and a tshirt results in feeling way too hot. There was no way that I was going to subject myself to the heat in a poorly ventilated suit or jacket. I would have probably done it once and then opted out of using the protective gear.

While pricey, the ultrabreeze is comfortable and breathes really well. It all comes down to how much you value comfort and how you deal with summer heat.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline joe goble

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 01:03:35 pm »
I think , I am going to go with the ultrabreeze jacket thank for your help everyone.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:48:07 pm »
I think the natural tendency for a new person getting into beekeeping is to buy too much stuff because the catalogs do a great job at presentation.  Your money could be better spent on woodenware.

When I started I bought a full suit with veil, gloves, boots, strapping, and the works.  Now, I find myself using just a helmet and a tie-down veil that I bought from Betterbee along with some loose fitting jeans and long-sleeve shirt.  I may or may not use duct tape to cover the cuff openings after I button down the sleeve but I always button the shirt up except for the top collar button.   I have a pair of long leather gloves that I bought and have never even taken the labels off and I don't wear the full suits at all.

Last year, I was only stung once when I opened the top cover to check the syrup.  I was not wearing anything except a T-shirt, shorts, and glasses!  No hat, veil, or shoes!

Like some of the other comments here, once you learn your bees (and each colony has a different personality) and learn how to move around them using smoke properly, you will begin to relax and enjoy the experience.  And your bees can tell when you're relaxed!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:17:05 pm »
The Ultra Breeze jacket would be what I will use the most.  Worth every penny.  Their full suit or the one from Golden Bee Products is also worth every penny if you want a full suit.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 11:59:19 am »
I've spent alot of money on bee garb.  The only time that I use my full bee suit is when the weather is cold and I want to keep warm.  Other than that, the only thing that I wear is the helmut/veil.  I think my bees are very calm, I've never been stung yet on the arms, back, and only a couple of times on the wrists (that is because of my black velcro watch band), and now and then on the finger.  I have been stung on the face, but that was human error when I dropped a swarm and it landed on my head and another time on the face when I didn't have a veil on and lifted up a box and didn't twist that box sideways as I lifted and the frame from the lower box pulled out of the box.  I rarely have any stings.

The gloves were a total waste of money.  I have only used them maybe once or twice, when I first began to keep the bees.  Many people have bees that are a little more aggressive and require to use gloves for protection.  But I don't.

I like to wear jeans when I work my bees, so they don't climb up my pants.  There is nothing worse than feeling a bee climbing beneath fabric, I think that terrifies them too when they can't get out, and they are more likely to sting if they get that claustrophobia or confined feeling, hee, hee, smiling.  Don't think that I could ever wear shorts, unless I put something around the thigh, like a big strap or something to prevent bees going up.

This is how I dress to work my bees anytime in the warm weather, it prevents me from sweating.  Bees don't like the smell of sweat.  Have a wonderful and most awesome day, life, health, love this life we all are living, lovin' and sharin'.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 12:06:57 pm »
cindi

that's what i was saying about the jacket.  i have one but do not use it unless i am really "working" thru some frames and they get mad.  I can throw on a veil and get right to work without all the zippers.  like someone else said, you have to know your bees.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 12:12:31 pm »
Oh right, forgot to add.  My safari hat/veil live up at my apiary, all year around.  I tie it to the gate to the apiary, anytime I need to go into a hive unexpectedly, it is always there waiting for me.  The head brim does get a little warped, but that is OK because I just put it on and it melds into the shape of my head again, smiling.  It can be rather uncomfortable, but I can tough it out.  I try not to use smoke either, but always have that smoker going, just in case.   Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 03:55:59 pm »
Either I am doing something wrong or my bees are not very gentle.  I have to cover all skin surfaces or I get stung and once I get stung once, it usaully brings out more bees.  I fee very comfortable now in my Ultrabreeze.  I too think the bees realize I am no longer nervous. 

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:47 am »
Cindi, that is one cooool outfit  :)