Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm #10  (Read 3003 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
swarm #10
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »
got a call today that they had a swarm of bees on the press box at a school's baseball field.about 2# swarm .I was feeling better and not hurting as bad so I went get them.the other pic with the bees on my hand was swarm#9 that they swarmed out of the nuc I had them in.my brother was there and wanted nothing to do with the bees.i told him to  watch this and I got the caged queen and held it up and they all landed on my hand.my brother said that us beekeepers are crazy :-D.i allways cage the queen when I do cutouts or get a swarm.i would have lost the swarm if I didn't have her caged.

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Re: swarm #10
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:44 pm »
Glad your feeling better Schawee.  I love the third pic.  I hope to get one like that someday, I just have to remember to do it the next timeI catch a swarm.

Great catches.

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:14 am »
Glad you are doing better too.  You fellows down in La are catching all the swarms.
Haven't seen one yet this year.  Like the bottom pic also.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:22:23 am »
Glad you are feeling better.

Thats too cool.....

Thanks for sharing.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 12:26:42 am »
I like it when you draw them to your had. NOW lets see you tie the Queen cage to your chin and grow a Beard with them.

the challenge has been given.  :-D you might make JP jealous with the beard.?

John

Moots

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 06:29:27 am »
Hey Schawee....Number 10!  Nice job, you're into double digits   :)  At least someone is in sight of Bailey's swarm count.  Glad to hear you're still feeling better, but don't get too brave too quick with that back, those darn injuries are tricky.

If I don't get a swarm quickly, you and bailey along with the rest of the Louisiana forum members might ask me to leave the state, I'm not living up to the Louisiana swarm standard. LOL!   :laugh:

Thought I might of stumbled into one, but turns out it was a false alarm.  :(  After shaking out Bravo hive, I put the box of comb with a lid on an ant mound to have them clean it out....Came home and had bees buzzing all around it.  I got it off the mound and put in on a bottom board just in case it was a swarm thinking about moving in.  However, when I got in from work the following day, there was no sign of any bees.  I checked it out and confirmed my other theory, they were just robbing out the little bit of honey that was left in there.

Anyway, I finished cleaning up the comb by hosing it out and got it in the freezer.  Hopefully, I'll get it into my swarm traps in the next couple of days.  Bailey is fairly confident that that will help end my swarm drought.  I'm hoping he's right....we'll see!  :)

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:28:47 am »
That's fantastic mate! I love the photo of the bees on your hand!

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 09:22:04 am »
Hey Schawee....Number 10!  Nice job, you're into double digits   :)  At least someone is in sight of Bailey's swarm count.  Glad to hear you're still feeling better, but don't get too brave too quick with that back, those darn injuries are tricky.

If I don't get a swarm quickly, you and bailey along with the rest of the Louisiana forum members might ask me to leave the state, I'm not living up to the Louisiana swarm standard. LOL!   :laugh:

Thought I might of stumbled into one, but turns out it was a false alarm.  :(  After shaking out Bravo hive, I put the box of comb with a lid on an ant mound to have them clean it out....Came home and had bees buzzing all around it.  I got it off the mound and put in on a bottom board just in case it was a swarm thinking about moving in.  However, when I got in from work the following day, there was no sign of any bees.  I checked it out and confirmed my other theory, they were just robbing out the little bit of honey that was left in there.

Anyway, I finished cleaning up the comb by hosing it out and got it in the freezer.  Hopefully, I'll get it into my swarm traps in the next couple of days.  Bailey is fairly confident that that will help end my swarm drought.  I'm hoping he's right....we'll see!  :)

Don't feel bad Moots, caught only one swarm last year when I started and was the size of a cabbage ball. Didn't think it was going to be my biggest strongest hive. Its the one I am using to do splits right now. Went there with a paint strainer bag on my head and overalls because I didn't have a suit yet and shook em in a box taped it up a drove home with it. My wife thought I was crazy!  :-D They had been there a few days and were pissy but Bailey talked me through it and was the first time I had met him. Good beeks here.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »
That gives true meaning to the saying," hand full of bees"! :th_thumbsupup:

Offline bayouboy

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 02:11:19 pm »
Glad your feeling better,Bruce.
Mike

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »
I've got to do that just once for my grandkids. They already think I'm nuts.

Glad you're felling better schawee.

Don

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 08:01:30 pm »
That 3rd pic would make a great profile picture.  Love it. 

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 08:00:09 pm »
Nice bunch Bruce. Got my number three today and tailing behind you and Bailey but got a feeling will have all those boxes filled up quick!
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:47 pm »
no 5 today for the old man
to bee or not to bee

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »
That 3rd pic would make a great profile picture.  Love it. 
That's a great idea.  I agree

James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:24 am »
no 5 today for the old man

You Bud?? Only 5 so far?? These guys down in LA are doing a killing. I am lucky if I get to catch 2-3 a season.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2013, 12:02:23 am »
Loved that last photo with the bees on the hand. Hope you are feeling better these days Schawee.