Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Removal  (Read 3623 times)

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
Swarm Removal
« on: May 03, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »
I removed a colony that swarmed in last Sat. They had 4 pieces of comb but I couldn't find any eggs and I didn't see the queen, (I'm guessing a virgin), hopefully I vacuumed her. I plan on putting in a frame of eggs, so I guess we'll see.  David

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarm Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:15:00 am »
CD,
The way to tell if you vacuumed up the queen is that you will start to see the bees being attracted to the exhaust of the vacuum.
Nice looking hive, were you able to save the comb? If you did not see any eggs on the comb, you probably have a vergin queen.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:37:10 am »
Hi Jim,
 I was not able to save any comb. It was so new, it was falling apart. I did watch the exhaust of the vacuum and did not see any bees attracted to it so I may have missed her. Again, there were no eggs at all so yes, probably a virgin. We'll see what they do with a frame of eggs.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:17:21 am »
Keep us posted.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:48:36 am »
I have removed a few like it and missed the queen but week later found her in the mix. That has been the most challenging for me is finding her doing removals because 99 percent of the time I am suited up and vision gets impaired.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:57:53 am »
Give them a frame of eggs is the way to go.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
Ditto on the eggs. If they need a queen, they will make one, if not in will give the hive a boost and more time if she is a virgin.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
Last night, winter returned to Alabama. It finally made it into the high 50's around 11:00 am and I got the bees set up in a medium. I put in a frame that had eggs, open brood and some capped. I 'll check them next week and see if we have queen cells.....and report back. David

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:36:40 pm »
Well, we have a queen...a laying queen. :-D  I didn't see her but I see eggs and there aren't any queen cells on the frame I dropped in.. David

Offline CVBees

• House Bee
  • secondchanceapiary@gmail
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:36 pm »
Good news.!!   X:X
Bees are the key to life as we know it.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:13:04 pm »
Excellent. You guys are having a great track record. :)

anything