Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding bees is EXPENSIVE! Any ideas on purchasing sugar cheaper than at the loc  (Read 7442 times)

Offline rast

• Field Bee
 I think its different area's also. I've tried em all around here including Sam's, and Dollar General is the best. 4lb. for $1.75. When someone here was getting a great a Wal Mart last year, I made a beeline for it and it was over a dollar higher than what they were paying.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
    I guess the main thing is to keep your eyes open and COMPARE.  I've seen where the larger amounts are less expensive than the smaller and two days later it was reversed.  I've seen the same thing in grocery stores with other items.  This was after my wife educated me in the ways of shopping.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline patook

• House Bee
    • Brother Bee Apiary
50lbs bags at Costco are $19.99. That is 40 cents a pound

Offline danno

• Super Bee
I mix small batches an like the 10 & 5# bags for doing this.  I have scales for bulk but its just one more step and alittle more mess

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
I have read that the smaller bags are cheaper on here before, but I never seem to find that.  My best buy for a couple of years now has been the 50lb. bag at Sam's and it is usually cheaper by a couple cents per lb..

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Here, a 25 lb bag of sugar sells for $15.95 on sale, I can get 2 5 lb bags for $5.  That equates to 30 lbs for $15.  The reason that the smaller bags are cheaper boils down to numbers.  A lot more 5 lb bags are mnufactured than 10 or 25 lb ones.  Look at the grocery store shells, the biggest amount of sugar is in 4 or 5 lb bags and only 1 or 2 25 lb bags on the shelf. 
Manufactures will package and sell the size that sells best, it is that size that will cost the least per pound.  The truth of supply and demand.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
I buy the 25lb bag locally at haggens or top foods for $13.95, the 10lb are almost $6. I have found that many stores dont carry the larger 25lb. Figure so far this year I am at around 200lbs for 4 hives, but I was not keeping count so that may be a little low.

Offline steveb

• New Bee
Here in the Mountain West we have Associated Food Stores which go by a various names such as Macey's, Dan's, etc.  Because of the culture of food storage here Associated Food Stores have yearly food storage case lot sales which has food deeply discounted for about two weeks when one buys in bulk.  Each year I, and many of our other beekeepers, make sure to buy our sugar during the sale.  This year I was able to pick up white sugar in 50 pound bags at a cost of about 37 cents per pound.  Needless to say I buy hundreds of pounds at a time.  It is also a great time to buy bulk containers such as food grade buckets and 5, 10, 35, and 55 gallon food grade liquid containers at a steep discount.
Steve