Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Food grade mineral oil  (Read 4837 times)

Offline FredBorn

• New Bee
Food grade mineral oil
« on: July 20, 2004, 10:17:12 pm »
Is any one using food grade mineral oil(fgmo)to control mites?

I currently am placing 4 - 6 mop ropes soaked in fgmo and honey ratio of 2 parts fgmo and 1 part honey on top of the brood frames.

Fog occasionally with fgmo. Only occsionally as I am not convinced yet that it doesn't cause additional problems (small hive beattles).

Any ideas/thoughts/experience?

fred - citrus county florida

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Food grade mineral oil
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:25:05 am »
FredBorn,

I used various methods of FGMO for about 5 years starting with the inverted bottle with pipe cleaner in the entrance and ending with fogging.  I had previously detailed my experiences here, but they were discarded when the forums were cleaned.  I finally gave up after loosing too many hives this past winter to varroa, and have switched to oxalic acid.

Here is a link that talks some about my experience.
http://robo.hydroville.com/html/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8

So far I am very pleased with oxalic acid,  after spring treating my few infested hives that made it through the winter,  as of last night I still have not seen a mite.  Though typically here in the northeast, heavy infestation doesn't happen until the fall.  I guess time will tell.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Archie

• House Bee
Food grade mineral oil
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 09:25:02 pm »
Hi,
I've been using fgmo in a Burgess Fogger  for two years now and I have very few mites.  Either I'm just lucky or the fogger works.  

Archie
Honey, Vermont sunshine in a bottle.