Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: G'day from Oz  (Read 2289 times)

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
G'day from Oz
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:47:43 am »
G'day from Oz.

Name is Mike and I live in suburban Brisbane Queensland east coast, Australia, just south of the Great Barrier Reef and due east of Uluru which is in the middle of Oz. We have a warm sub-tropical climate which is great for beekeeping (and the SHB). Being in the centre of the city I have blossom 52 weeks a year and whilst there is a winter dwindle, I have nectar coming in all the time.

Started hobby beekeeping 15 years ago (still doing it this way) when my daughter came home on her 18th birthday and said there are some bees in a tree over the road. Nothing else needs to  be said.

So I have been keeping bees selling honey and making mead ever since until the end of 2008 when the SHB devastated my 2 hives. Since then it has been a bit of a weird trip cleaning things up and making the decision to keep going.

I caught a swarm a couple of weeks ago and put it into a nuc. Nice docile hive with a queen laying and offspring getting ready to hatch.

This morning I took delivery of a 4 frame nuc that I will rehouse tomorrow morning into my own nuc box and add a half height nuc super as the nuc is very full and active. I opened the entry this morning when I got it home and they are already bringing nectar and pollen in.

I have SHB traps built into the floor.. squat 4" diameter peanut butter jars with slotted lid and vegetable oil in the jar. Over the time I have caught 3 beetle in the trap and smashed only a handful in the swarm so I am hoping that I am going to get control of the SHB problem. The other thing I have done is to relocate the hives so I am not near the contaminated ground.

It is interesting to read of the problems you guys in the States are having with the SHB and it would seem that we are following in your footsteps. The SHB is a massive problem and there needs to be significant research into how they can be controlled. I think that traps are only an intermediate stage and there has to be some scientific method developed to deal with the problem.

My humble opinion for the moment anyhow.  :-D

Mike

ps Wonderful to see a spelling checker on this forum  :lol: :lol:

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: G'day from Oz
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:39:49 am »
Welcome Mate! I enjoy reading posts and comments from our FRIENDS down under.

Welcome, Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:35:35 am »
Welcome mate!  We already have two things in common, I also have SHB and I live in the Land of Oz too!  (Kansas)  :D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 01:13:17 pm »
Mike, welcome to our forum, that is great that you found us.  We have quite a few new members from your country, that is cool.  The SHB certainly is a really bad issue that beekeepers are contending with.  We are fortunate in our area that we don't have that bug that bothers our bees.  Stick around, this can be a place where you can tell you stories, tales, experiences and make some new friends.  Have a great and most awesome day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »
Thanks guys and gals. It is always nice to feel welcome :) and I do.

I am in a few different forums and I always find them to be friendly places where people have a common interest and where you can learn a lot and hopefully give some back.

Thanks again for the welcome

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:18:12 pm »
Welcome mate, always glad to find another bloke from down under has discovered the forum.  You might not want to take Bullseye Bill too seriously as his Oz is from the other side of the Rainbow.  Altogether there's a lot of info on the forum and blokes willing to endow you with their opinions, as various and outrageous as you desire.   :-D
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:36:08 pm »
Hello and Welcome Mike
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

anything