Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from North Texas Too!  (Read 2443 times)

Offline SuzieB

• Brood
Hello from North Texas Too!
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »
Greetings to all from the North Texas Hill Country just a little south of the Red River.  This is my second full year of beekeeping and I am having a blast...except I am afraid the heat and drought is going to be a killer again this year.  Started out with two hives in the Summer of 2011.  The drought and heat took its toll as I lost one hive.  Both hives were swarms that a friend of mine gave me to get started in my beekeeping adventure.  Knowing what I have learned through the school of hard knocks--one of my queens died in the heat of the summer and the poor girls didn't have the resources to make a new one.  Also the wax moths took advantage of this weak hive and one morning in the fall, after our first "cold" snap the hive packed up and left.

This year I started with the one surviving hive, two packages from R Weaver, a nuc from a private individual, a swarm from a friend's peach tree, and a split from my original hive.  Everyone is doing great, but because Mother Nature has turned off the water faucet, the landscape has left much to be desired for foraging.  a 25 lb sack of sugar, Honey B Healthy, and pollen substitute are my new best "friends".  Planted a quarter acre of buckwheat so here's hoping for the rain! 

Glad to bee here! :)

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Hello from North Texas Too!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:22:26 pm »
Welcome to the site! Larry

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »
Howdy SuzieB
I am west of Fort Worth.  I planted 3 acres of buckwheat and since it has stopped raining it is not doing well.  I hope yours does better than mine.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum Suzie.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:47:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:50 pm »
Glad you're here!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:34 am »

Welcome to the forum.  Good luck with your bees.

Joe

Offline SuzieB

• Brood
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »
Howdy SuzieB
I am west of Fort Worth.  I planted 3 acres of buckwheat and since it has stopped raining it is not doing well.  I hope yours does better than mine.

Did you get any of that rain last night?  The storm headed right towards us, and because we live in a deep valley the storm split and went around us and after it passed regrouped east of us.  We got a great light show and lots of noise, but NO rain.  Since I have a small plot pf buckwheat, I've been watering it--thank goodness for a well (hope it doesn't dry up--the well I mean.) 

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »
Yes em we received a little over 1/2 an inch. I'm hoping that the buckwheat that did not sprout will take off now
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata