Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: taking off honey supers = big freakin mess  (Read 8235 times)

Offline giant pumpkin peep

• New Bee
Re: taking off honey supers = big freakin mess
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »
that stinks. can you put honey supers back on to get the honey they robbed out?
I like pumpkins!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 09:03:58 pm »
You can put them back on and if there is still a flow going on the bees can repair any damaged comb and refill the cells but if there is no flow then you are out of luck.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:27:09 pm »
I have my honey supers as deep, never migrated yet to any other size. I like the deeps, kind of stuck on things I guess.
When I go to take the honey frames, I have an empty super alongside that hive.  That empty deep sits inside a telescoping lid.  No bees can get in (usually I will have this set up in a wheelbarrow).  I take out a frame, bump the frame, many bees fall off, I brush off as many as I can, quickly and sharply, one must brush in this manner, or you just REALLY irritate the bees.  I place this frame inside that empty super and put my cover cloth over it.  I do this as many times as required.  I then take the wheelbarrow up to the house. 

This is an eloquent description of what I did for years.  It's also a good method for topbar hives.
I'm gradually switching over to all mediums and use a modified triangle escape board.  The supers are usually empty in a couple hours, but I leave them overnight and usually only need to brush off a few bees.  I pull the supers in the early AM before there is much activity.
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline irekkin

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »
thanks again for all the comments and advice. it's given me plenty to think about between now and next year. i really can't complain seeing as how i started this spring with one hive and now i have five healthy and hungry hives. our flows in southside va. are pretty much over, theres alot of golden rod out, some asters and a few other wild flowers but from what i can tell they're (the bees) are getting mostly pollen. if they do make any more honey, it's theirs, they worked their little arses off for it :evil: :-D
now the challenge is to get ready for winter.
when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Offline GJS

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:43 am »
Why is no one speaking of bee excluders?  I thought you put one under the honey super for a day and the super will be empty of bees.  No? :-\
Keep on the sunny side of life!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 12:26:07 am »
i think someone mentioned the escape boards.  same thing.  they work pretty well as i hear it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 12:29:43 am »
I know Michael Bush said the triangular escape boards are the best to use. I purchased one of these and still have not used it as I just brush the bees off the frames and place the frames quickly into my car.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:32 am »
When harvesting the honey (or robbing it depending on your perspective  :-D), I always keep a big sheet around to cover the supers taken off.  Little pirhannas is a pretty good description of a robbing swarm, but pirhannas aren't nearly as aggressive.

Lessons learned: start up leaf blower BEFOREHAND  :-P.

I use bee-quick and also a shopvac blower to clean them out.  Even with a sheet covering I'm blowing a lot of would-be robbers away too.

Rick
Rick