Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Benadryl Question  (Read 9502 times)

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Benadryl Question
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 04:45:29 pm »
I carry a bottle of spray benadryl in my truck.  Most of the stings I get have absolutly no reaction at all but every once in a while I swell.  Most be older more potent girls.  I dont run for the spray when it happens.   Just a squirt on the spot when I get back to the truck

Are you talking about Benaydryl or lotion like Calamine?  For me Benadryl is inside the body medicine! :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 05:03:25 pm »
you can get benadryl cream also.  what works better is Vagisil, but it's hard to convince the boys  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 06:29:02 pm »
Could you see at a field day whipping out a tube of vagisil when one of the guys gets stung. :-D
You don't think JP or Iddee would carry it in their tool bag when they do cutouts? ;)
I have been using denver's sting stopper but the jar(and its really tiny) leaks like crazy and its a brownish yellow color and gets on everything so its a pain.
I actually forgot all about the benadryl lotion, we keep some in the travel kit because my girls go on missions to other countries with the church and there are lots of bugs where they go.
It hadn't even occured to me for bee stings.

At this point with me I have found its better for me to take benadryl as soon as I get stung. I range from getting a minimal reaction to bad swelling and there is no way to tell what the reaction is going to be.
Even if I have been stung in the same hand one week and been fine, another week can have it swollen  to twice its size and the skin is all stretched shiny and itchy.
Then you all heard what happened at the field day this weekend.
I have been stung in two different places at once and had one area swell and ache and the other area doesn't react much at all.
I have no idea why the reactions vary, its not like they are getting better or worse just jumping back and forth, it makes you wonder if the venom of the bees makes a difference.

Offline Gware

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 08:00:41 pm »
Kathy If you get stung pretty good and swell bad ,a medrol pack will do wonders, ask your doctor about one

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:21:19 pm »
Maybe if they just changed the name of the product us guys wouldn't so much mind having it around... :-)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 10:29:11 pm »
You don't think JP or Iddee would carry it in their tool bag when they do cutouts?

Why not? :-D

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:15 am »
I carry a bottle of spray benadryl in my truck.  Most of the stings I get have absolutly no reaction at all but every once in a while I swell.  Most be older more potent girls.  I dont run for the spray when it happens.   Just a squirt on the spot when I get back to the truck

Are you talking about Benaydryl or lotion like Calamine?  For me Benadryl is inside the body medicine! :-D

I'm talking about Benaydryl spray.   It comes in a pocket size spritzer bottle

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 04:03:47 pm »
I'll be honest Danno, never seen it but if you say O.K.! :-D

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 04:16:10 pm »
you can get benadryl cream also.  what works better is Vagisil, but it's hard to convince the boys  :-)
It's never bothered me much to go to the store to buy it and other Fem products. Heck I used to work at the manufacturing plant that mad e the Serenity Pads. If you say it works, I think the wife still has an older tube.

I ain't skeered. :D
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 05:01:15 pm »

If you say so...I've never been stung there, not sure what good it would do for us boys. :lau:

Rick

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 09:14:11 am »

If you say so...I've never been stung there, not sure what good it would do for us boys. :lau:

Someone told me that if guys use Vagisil there voice will start changing

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 10:23:47 am »
When the guy banged on the sides of the hive they came charging out and the woman that got stung in the ear and her husband in the wheelchair were over to the left of the hive maybe 10 feet or so and there were a couple of people that stood to the presenters left, practically on top of the hive that got stung as well.
So there were definitely people that were right next to the hive and then some further away and this guy knew that. I really cannot imagine what he was thinking.
Alot of people got stung multiple times.
Has anyone from MassBee been notified of this guys actions. I know you said you told your club president but one of the higher ups needs to know about what this guy did. This guy wasn't qualified to be instructing that many people when he was acting like that. I'm glad I wasn't there when it happened.  :-D :-D
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 12:07:22 pm »
Hi Greg,
          I e-mailed Dan Conlon, the president of Mass Bee and he is also the one that organized the field day.
I sent him a very detailed account of what happened, I was polite but I got my point across about how incompetent this guy is to be doing demonstrations and the dangers involved.
I tell you it still bothers me when I think of that man in the wheelchair getting stung and trying to protect himself with his coat, thankfully Bill ran back and got him when he realized but still, its a vision I can't bear to think of.
It was chaos with everyone getting stung and running from the area the guy who caused it all didn't try to help anyone.
He tried to keep going on with his presentation like nothing was happening, like if he acted like this was normal no one would think anything of it or something.
He also did not try to help anyone which makes the whole thing even more upsetting.
I have yet to hear anything back from Dan Conlon.
I had hoped others would also have notified him as well since there were so many involved but I haven't got any idea if they have or not.
I will be very annoyed if I do not hear anything back from him at all but I hope he is just looking into things, still I think he has enough time to respond by now.
I will keep you posted to his response, I am going to give him only a couple of more days before I contact him again. He can't just ignore something like this.
I really appreciate your concern, thank you.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 12:31:40 pm »
I just recieved this e-mail from the president of mass bee, his reply to my account of what happened at field day.

I am aware of the stinging incident. It was both unneccessary and avoidable. I had cautioned all presenters and reminded participants to wear veils, as the bees may not bee happy after a week of unsettled weather. To my knowleadge this was the only presentation that had angry bees. I have spoken to "     " about this and am still unclear as to what he was thinking. All us would expect a defensive reaction from bees when pounding on thier hive. The hive was still not settled down at the end of the day. Clearly it was poor judgement to antagonize the bees, and I question the need to do this for a powder sugar treatment in the first place. We invite presenters because they have a reputation for successful beekeeping, and have experience on a particular topic we think may be of interest to our members. " blank  " could have talked through this step without banging on the hive.

Thats it, am I wrong to expect an apology here?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »
i'm not sure you should expect an apology from this man.  he did not do it.  he was involved in picking people that he thought were going to serve the purpose, but unless this presenter had previous lapses of judgment that the president was aware of, you can't even blame the president for his choice.

it would be nice to get an apology, but to expect one?  probably not.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 12:55:45 pm »
Maybe, it could be that he brushed off some concerns I had about some nucs I purchased from him in the past as well, acknowledged one of my concerns but didn't offer an apology and blew off my other concern so its just getting kind of annoying.
I don't want to get into the issues with his business and talk bad about him in a public forum so I won't say what the issues were with the nucs but he didn't apologize then so I guess I shouldn't expect him to offer one now.
Then again whenever I have worked with the public in a management position I spent half my time apologizing for the people in the organization or place of business when mistakes have been made by others.
If someone came to me with a concern it made people feel better if I apologized on behalf of the people who I either worked with or was responsible for being there.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 03:54:45 pm »
There's nothing like a sincere apology, hey? Even though this guy was not responsible directly, he could still apologize for the circumstances...

Wow! What a complete and total idiot that presenter was! Dare I hope he was stung many times? Did anybody happen to tally up the total of stings suffered during that incident unnecessarily? So glad your husband was on the ball and got the wheelchair-bound fellow out right away!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 05:10:04 pm »
I don't know how many times the guy was stung but I would be surprised if he got away with nothing since the rest of use were nailed repeatedly.
These bees followed you for a long way too.
They guy who ran the field day said in the e-mail that they were still not settled down at the end of the day, which doesn't surprise me considering how po'd they were.
I am not sure how many times everyone got stung in total but I know most everyone at the demo got stung, just don't know how many times.

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »
the very worst i ever got stung was in my ear :shock: i took benadyl 50 mg there i Diphenhydramine or benadryl you can take 300 mg in 24 hours :-D talk about sleepy. but it does help with swelling.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline beehive

• New Bee
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 10:55:45 pm »
I know this was an unfortunate situation at the Field Day since I was at that session and witnessed it myself.  The presenter should not have banged on the hive.  However, before he even started he told all of us that he would be going in the hive and that people should put protective gear on at this point, and he had his veil on.  This should have been a cue to everyone to have their veils on, especially since he said it as well, and Dan mentioned it in the morning at the beginning of the day.  The man doing the session also warned us that the bees don't like getting coated in sugar, which should have been yet another clue.  I was only one of the few that actually listened and had my veil on.  Being a beekeeper means that we need to be proactive, not reactive, because then it's most likely too late.  It's also important to remember that when something does go wrong and the bees get angry that people need to remain calm and not make sudden movements.  One of the first things I learned in beekeeping class was to slowly back away from the situation.  I was flabbergasted when I saw people swatting the bees or running around since that only pee'd them off even more and attracts more bees.  I had my veil on and slowly walked away from the situation and I did not get stung at all.

We also have to remember that this was a free event for beekeepers and was supposed to be a learning experience.  I guess one important lesson some people learned was to always have your veil on when working in the hive.  If you're looking for an apology you should probably email the man that was doing the session, not Dan.  Dan was the coordinator of the event, but he did not have control over this man's every move.  He wasn't even at this session and was not micro-managing everybody's sessions. 

Being a first year beekeeper I have learned that being cautious is most important.  Everyone needs to keep that in mind.  .

anything