Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: You East Coasters survive that storm (Robo) ?  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
You East Coasters survive that storm (Robo) ?
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:52 am »
More importantly did your bees?? I am here in the rockies where our snow comes all light and fluffy, but being new to this, when there is a storm coming in do you do anything to help the girls weather the storm? I am getting some sugar cakes ready now to take out there and set on top of a inner cover to see if they start taking it like crazy. That should tell me if they are starving right?? Then I can go to a sugar board if need be. I lost two hives last week that starved to death already. So I am just wondering what else I can do. I feel like a foster parent who was not prepared. Only have had the hives two months and lost two hives already, don't want to lose anymore. Trying to learn as fast as I can. Thanks for all your help so far. Should I consider stacking the hives on top of each other to create some additional heat?? I also have them on pallets so the ones on the north east side of the pallet don't get as much sun??? Should I rearrange them a little so they all get some afternoon sun, or is it better to keep them tightly clustered in groups of 4 on a pallet?? What about a tent cover for them, like Costo sells?? Looks like a redneck garage,, PVC and some canvas that would cover them but have one end totally open? That would help keep the wind and snow and rain off. It would still be cold but, anyway give me some thoughts.
Thanks all, and we in the rockies are sending you another one this weekend just so you know. Good luck!!
Frantz
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: You East Coasters survive that storm (Robo) ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 12:03:26 pm »
Just rain in the Southern 1/2 of Jersey. It's been raining off and on for the last 2 weeks or so  :-\

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:26:24 pm »
Feel fortunate.  I bet those in Georgia would love some of that rain now.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Beaches Bee-Haven Apiary

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:43:27 pm »
Feel fortunate.  I bet those in Georgia would love some of that rain now.

You're telling me! I'm about 45 min north of the GA border in SC, and we could use all the rain we can get! Although we don't have to worry about the cold right now, it's 74F out there!

Just rain in the Southern 1/2 of Jersey. It's been raining off and on for the last 2 weeks or so  :-\
Send some of that down BeeHopper! :lol:

-Nathanael 8-)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:53:20 pm »
Wow, the SUN just came  8-) But just heard that the Northeast region will be getting another snowy event on Sunday. Wishing you Beeks down South some rain  :)

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:15:29 pm »
We got more ice than anything.  Roads were slick yesterday afternoon but were decent for the drive home.  We'll see what happens this weekend.  I need to go down to the hives and give them a tap in order to put myself at ease.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:01:27 pm »
I am not on the East coast, but we have certainly been belted by a ferocious ice storm here in Oklahoma. It is called the worst ice storm ever for this area in terms of damage and deaths (40 at last count). Millions of broken trees all over the place; nearly every tree of any real size is broken. It looks like a two hundred mile wide tornado came through. Over half a million people without power as of Tuesday, and still many, including myself, without power, water, heat. etc. Have moved in with a friend for now and hope juice will be back on soon. Don't know about my bees, but gave them candy boards last week just before the storm came.

We are are expecting 5 to 8 inches of snow tonight, and the trees are still covered in ice! Should bring down many more. Battening down the hatches and holding on tight in Central OK!
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:13:43 pm »
Wow, the SUN just came  8-) But just heard that the Northeast region will be getting another snowy event on Sunday. Wishing you Beeks down South some rain  :)

My bees came out today for about an hour. Weather turning crappy again and back inside. We needed the rain too, not as bad as Georgia though for sure. Just generally crappy weather last two weeks.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 04:24:04 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I am happy to get all the weather reports, But what about the questions about stacking the hives etc?? Do any of you do anything like that through the winter? Seems like it would help with the heat and such.. But is it a bad idea??
Thanks guys and gals
F

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 04:49:50 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I am happy to get all the weather reports, But what about the questions about stacking the hives etc?? Do any of you do anything like that through the winter? Seems like it would help with the heat and such.. But is it a bad idea??

I don't stack anything.  The way they sat in the 100 degree August weather is how they sit in the 15 degree December weather.  They are about 5 feet apart from each other, I no longer tar paper, I close my SBB, vent the top a bit to release moisture, and that's all the winter prep my hives get these days.

My bees came out today for about an hour. Weather turning crappy again and back inside. We needed the rain too, not as bad as Georgia though for sure. Just generally crappy weather last two weeks.

We hit 50 degrees the other day right before the "storm" (I guess I can thank those in FL and GA for that   :roll: ), then it dropped to freezing.  I meant to ask my wife to take a peek to see if they were flying during that 50 degree high, but forgot.  Dang it...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 05:42:34 pm »
The bees won't go after the candy unless it's warm enough to break cluster. If the hives are heavy,(Lift the back corner)they should have enough stores .What is your hive setup,two deeps three mediums?
Not disturbing them if they have plenty of stores is probably best.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 06:25:32 pm »
My hives are all two deeps. I have made a couple of sugar boards in case I need them. I was going to put some small sugar cakes on an inner cover and add a medium to the top so I can see if they are taking it. What do you think? I figure the ones that attack the sugar cakes might need a sugar board??
Thanks guys
F

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 07:54:54 pm »
Be prepared in New England this weekend is going to be high winds and wet snow. Batten down your hives and warm up your snow blowers. And be prepared to stay inside.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 08:16:42 pm »
Be prepared in New England this weekend is going to be high winds and wet snow. Batten down your hives and warm up your snow blowers. And be prepared to stay inside.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
I wish we were going to need our snowblowers for this storm, but we're going to get rain here.  :(  We got afoot yesterday, I don't know if it made the national news or not, but the way the Boston area gridlocked you'd think they were surprised it snowed here in New England  :roll:  Some people spent six or eight hours in their cars trying to get home.  There's a term from Heartbreak Ridge that applies here, but since this is a family forum I'll refrain  :evil:

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:35:31 pm »
Hey, it's New England.
We were laughing at the talking heads catering to a national audience.
It's just not as dramatic as they make it out to be.
At least we're going to have a white Christmas.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 11:07:12 pm »
At least we're going to have a white Christmas.
Maybe you are, but I won't  :'( The rain is supposed to be quite heavy, and now, with the storm drains covered with snow, it'll be a bloody mess until the rain seeps beneath the snow and wiggles its way down into the drains. 

I'd rather another foot or two of snow.

Offline DennisB

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 11:03:57 am »
Here in Louisiana Missouri (90 miles north of St Louis) we had thunderstorms with lightning and thunder last Saturday night, except it was all sleet. Woke up Sunday morning to 2 inches of ice, trees down everywhere and the power off. Got it back on Wednesday and received snow last night and still snowing. It appears all is well in the hives though. No large branches fell on top of them. Yea! At least it is water in some form. It has been a very dry year.

Good luck North easterners, it is heading your way in a few days.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 11:50:42 am »
Hopeful, some really nasty weather stuff going on in your area.  I wish you well.  Any other places that have bad weather too, I wish you well also,  What more can be said.  That weather can be nasty stuff.  Still.....have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hopeful

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 09:25:06 pm »
Thank you, Cindy for thinking about us out here in OK. My power was finally restored tonight after six days (Yeehaw!).

The bees will have to wait it out for a bit longer. It is supposed to get into the 50s this week for several days. Will they break cluster and eat from the sugar boards? Hope so!
"And this is life eternal...." "John 17:3

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:40:26 pm »
Six days?  :shock:  That's awful!  Now has it snowed there since?  I thought there was another storm hitting somewhere 'round there.  Still waiting to see what's going to hit us tomorrow.  Looks like a bit of snow then 1-3" of rain.  And howling winds  :-x

anything