Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varnish?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
Varnish?
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:38:42 pm »
What is the best type of varnish to use in your opinion? I have a full can of linseed oil in my basement and a bajillion wood stains from the previous home owner. I'm willing to go out an buy something if needed.
Bee patient with me... I just started this March of 2015..

You can follow my excursions on... www.candiebees.com

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Varnish?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:27:07 pm »
I use a good quality exterior flat paint. 3 coats the first time. one or two coats every 2 to 3 years there after. I do plan to do some bottoms and tops with BLO this year. I like forest green or bull frog green. Blends in with the surroundings.

Haven't tried varnish. d2

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:54:15 am »
I used to use copper naphthenate on the hive bodies and supers before painting them.  Works great and the wooden ware lasts forever.  The only reason I stopped was cause I ran out and keep forgetting to buy some each new season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 07:34:40 am »
I have an English warre hive... And brushy mountain did such a wonderful job I think using actual paint would just take away from the hive.

Offline hilltophermit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:47:36 am »
My dad use to make a concoction out of bees wax and mineral oil and rub onto the hive. Labor incentive but made a nice looking finish and lasted long. He may or may not have had turpentine in it too, I don?t recall. I have always been told that one should use "spar" varnish outside.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 09:53:03 pm »
That's what I read.. To use beeswax and linseed oil and it water proofs it. Just figured that would be less harsh then a minwax stain

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 04:25:30 am »
Boiled Linseed Oil contains "drying" agents in the form of metals.  I used to use it on my flutes and I wondered why I was constantly feeling "funny" after tuning them freshly oiled.  Later I discovered you can get food grade linseed oil.  If you go to the local health food store, you can probably buy a quart of it for around 10 dollars.  It works the same way as regular BLO, but takes longer to dry.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Candiebears

• House Bee
    • Candiebees
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:03 am »
Boiled Linseed Oil contains "drying" agents in the form of metals.  I used to use it on my flutes and I wondered why I was constantly feeling "funny" after tuning them freshly oiled.  Later I discovered you can get food grade linseed oil.  If you go to the local health food store, you can probably buy a quart of it for around 10 dollars.  It works the same way as regular BLO, but takes longer to dry.

Thank you! If only I could use the 2 containers of Hazelnut oil I just bought.. lol. But I will definitely look into that!!

anything