Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mann lake extractor  (Read 5869 times)

Offline T.Smith

• New Bee
mann lake extractor
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:39:09 pm »
Hello I run about 25 hives and have been having someone else extract for me. I am now looking to buy an extractor. Been looking at the 18/9 from mann lake. Anyone have any reccomendations on this  extracor.   Thanks

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: mann lake extractor
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 10:44:44 pm »
I think that is a great extractor. You have to have plenty of buckets or some sort of honey collection container under it, though. I'm assuming you're going to put out the money for the motor driven one...it would be very difficult to hand crank 18 full frames at a speed needed to empty the frames well. If you're going with hand crank, check out the 9/3 from Brushy Mountain, that's what I got. In Dencember, BM offers free shipping with a code they provide on their website. Something to consider...shipping on extractors can easily add 50% to the cost.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 12:36:40 pm »
The 9/18s are very popular, however with 25 hives I think they are maginal.  If you plan to grow at all, look at something bigger and stronger like the Dadant 20 frame. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:42:27 pm »
>I am now looking to buy an extractor. Been looking at the 18/9 from mann lake. Anyone have any reccomendations on this  extracor.

I have the 9/18 from Mann Lake and I love it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MAXANT

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 08:54:38 am »
If you like supporting offshore companies, I say go for it!
Or you simply buy American, heaviest guage SS and dont look back! :-D

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 09:49:59 am »
I say buy from the U.S.A. and heaviest guage SS give people and U.S.A. a job

Thanks

BEE HAPPY Jim134 :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 02:19:38 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 01:19:08 am »

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:06:36 am »
Hello  i have the 18/9 mann lake extractor  i got it 3 years ago new and it has done a great job for me , i have 20 hives
Barney

Offline trapperbob

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:23:23 pm »
 I don't know about Mann lake but the maxant model 1400pl is a quality made machine. I got mine today and am very impressed. I've seen the dadant products and the italian made models and can say Maxant makes a superior machine. :-D

Offline BarneyG

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
MAXANT   maybe if your prices were with in reason  and close to about what   mannlake prices are  for the extroctors  a lot of beekeepers would buy from you ! some thing to think about   the extractor is a very very  very  big cost for the small time beekeeper  Barney
Barney

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 09:50:13 pm »
One of the things to consider is what you want to spend on an extractor you only use for a brief time once a year as a hobbiest or one you'd want to have heavy used as a commercial beekeeper.  For the commercial guy, I think the Maxant would be worth the extra cost because it is heavy duty.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything