Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The upside of the down low  (Read 1619 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
The upside of the down low
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:44:13 am »
So, ummm, yeah. ...
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: The upside of the down low
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:52:27 am »
Hey, that?s a big upside in my book. I?m covered head to foot in mosquito bites from March till October. I?m a mosquito delicacy apparently. I?ll take snow over skeeters any day!
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:04:03 am »
I am not complaining.  Loving it, actually.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 08:07:30 am »
Hey, that?s a big upside in my book. I?m covered head to foot in mosquito bites from March till October. I?m a mosquito delicacy apparently. I?ll take snow over skeeters any day!

Member,
While it is the off season, keep a look out for Dynatraps that go on sale. They pretty much eliminate the mosquitos around my house and barn.
I put 2 on opposite sides of my house and one on the end of my barn, on the side facing the house. We sit out side every morning, all year long, drinking our morning brew with no problems.
It also kills thousands of large and small wax moths and lots of Yellowjackets.
They really make a drastic difference.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 08:48:08 am »
Jim, I found 14 models of the dynatrap, from 32 dollars to 200 dollars. Which ones are you using?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:09:58 am »
Iddee,
Here is a picture of one of the ones that I have. I?m pretty sure that it is a 3/4 acre unit.
This one came from BJs about this time last year for around $30. One we got from Ace Hardware for $45. The third one I for about the same. They normally run about $90.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:17 am »
Thanks for the recommendation, Jim. I?ll look into those.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 09:27:54 am »
Thanks here also Jim, however, the picture did not come through.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:34:15 am »
Oh man HP, I look at your bbq grill and shiver.  I plowed and shoveled so much snow in Montana,, well, if your young, snow is fun.  How can ya beat snow skiing, literally flying on the ground.  But when ya get to be an old fert as yours truly, then snow takes on a different look.  Like, oh my aching back!!  Simple solution, HP, just don?t age, stay young and warm.

We will blink a few times and Spring will appear.  I have 1 inch of snow in my yard, the dog loves it, so no worries on my end.

Blessings

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 09:20:10 pm »
Here is the picture:

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 09:28:21 pm »
Here is the picture:

Jim Altmiller

Thanks Jim
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 09:05:39 am »
It was 5 F Tuesday and I saw a mosquito on the wall in the shower in the bathroom...  and I was fighting the flies in the living room.  They won't last much longer though...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything