Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding Packages  (Read 6014 times)

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: Feeding Packages
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 05:53:27 pm »
So far i only see 10 dead bees in the frame feeder and its gone down about 1/2 an inch.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 06:10:23 pm »
The feeders that i built that sit ontop of the inner cover have only went down 1/4 of an inch. Under the lids there is a 3/4 inch gap is that to much for the bees to stand up and suck the syrup out of the jars?

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 07:25:08 pm »
That should be fine.  From what I have observed, they don't stand up and drink from those jar feeders...they walk upside down and drink from it that way...so 3/4" is fine. 

FYI: One of my new packages seems to go through 1-2 pints of 1:1 sugar water, and my other probably goes through 3/4 pint per day or less.  The packages appreared identical, but one is obviously stronger than the other, and it is interesting to note that the stronger one is noticably more aggressive.
-Mike

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 02:41:17 pm »
I have a buddy that uses a Styrofoam top feeder. On one side it has a clear plastic "L" shaped cover that runs vertically, down to the liquid. This forms the channel the the bees travel to get to the sugar water. The feeder must hold a good 3 + gallons of fluid or better. Unlike my top feeder, his Styrofoam feeder works extremely well.  Few, if any drown bees. The feeder is Styrofoam so the sugar water seems to store quite well. It's pretty expensive, which is the down side. If it was 1/3 of the current price, I'd certainly buy several.
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 09:44:48 pm »
Ok, today i saw the bees bringing in some pollen so they maybe getting nectar from other places but the water is only down about an inch in each jar so i hope they are getting to it.